Upgrading from 2014 to 2017 model?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YKK

Hello,

I currently have a 2014 BMW i3 with the Giga interior and 20" wheels, no REX. I've had it for about a year and a half and absolutely love it. However, by chance I met someone who owns a fully loaded 2017 model with REX that they are interested in selling. I sat in it and experienced the full leather seats for the first time and they are nice. Another plus is their car has 19" wheels which was something I was originally hoping to get on my 2014 car. Mileage of about 50k, my 2014 is approaching 80k. The main draw to me is the extra battery powered range and I'm not averse to the addition of the REX.

My questions are as follows: What is such a car worth right now and how inflated is that price due to the chip shortage (ex: what were they going for a few months ago?) I'm not trying to turn a profit on selling it or anything like that but I'd be disappointed if these started showing up significantly cheaper in six months. They asked me to throw out the first number if I'd like to make an offer and I need advice on what to start with. What could I expect to sell my current car for? I paid about $12k originally. For anyone who has owned both a 2014 and 2017 is it worth upgrading or should I hold on and wait for a later model? I'm in California.

Thanks,
YKK

Check sites like CarGurus and TrueCar for the going sales prices for i3's in your area. Should at least give you fairly close ballpark guesstimates.

How the chip shortage will impact the prices short or long term for the i3 is anybody's guess. BMW may have enough stock on hand, or have to limit production.

Of more impact may be that, according to a post on another site, USA BMW Dealers just received a bulletin listing the i3 as series ending production the end of July. So, if true, BMW will cease all production of the i3 for the North American market in two months. Will that drive the price up, because the i3 will become rare and sought after? Have little impact, as the i3 has always been a niche vehicle in the NA market? Or drive the price down, because the i3 will then be perceived as an orphaned model/line (with basically ten year old tech) with increasingly limited Dealer support? Again, anyone's guess. :cry:

There's a 2017 REX with every single option available (leather, Harmon kardon sound system, 20" wheels) in a good color (white) in Cali on eBay that's going for $19,999. I've seen base models for 22-25k from some of those Carvana, Vroom, etc. sites and that honestly seems a little high. I'd stay around 20k personally. Otherwise save up and find a good deal on a 2019 with the larger battery if you want to spend closer to 25-30k.

Back