Delivery notification to delivery timescale

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonb

Hello all,

I ordered my i3 Rex (with almost all the extras) 5th Jan this year and finally today received notification (13th June) that my car in starting production.

How long has everyone else been waiting from notification to delivery to you?

Looking forward to it now!

Simon

There are several threads that cover this question, the most recent being http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1046.

Tom has the definitive answer on his BMWBlog post http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/04/23/track-bmw-i3-order-delivery/. Several participants on this forum have verified his timeline.

Please update your profile to let the rest of us know where you live, as that makes a difference in delivery schedule. Also, let us know your configuration - BEV or REx, and trim level (BMW's "Worlds") - Mega, etc. for USA, Lodge, etc. for much of the rest of English speaking nations.

You're lucky to be getting your car so quickly. I placed my deposit a half year prior to you, but mine will not begin production for another couple of weeks.

I'm jealous.

Been in to visit Oxford iGenius today, and my car is expected 2nd week of july!

Cant wait now!

Simon

Just under 6 months from order to delivery!

Very exited now, just struggling to get a supplier for my charger point as i do have a garage and driveway but no power. so looking to get a local sparky to install the BMW one

I do not know what EVSE's are available where you live, but I have one sitting on a truck for delivery today for my new i3 that cost about 1/2 what the BMW one costs, at least in my market, that should function perfectly fine with the vehicle (same max output as the BMW one). I'd only buy the BMW one if I loved the style of the thing, and was crazy about being 'pure' BMW...the science behind the things is actually pretty simple - it's essentially a high power switch with a small logic circuit that can announce to the vehicle how much power is available for it (the car chooses how much to actually draw, up to the max available), and logic to activate the relay that applied power, and verify there are no faults (such as a short or leak to ground). In my case, that saved me about $500 USD, the installation should be about the same, regardless.

simonb said:
Hello all,

I ordered my i3 Rex (with almost all the extras) 5th Jan this year and finally today received notification (13th June) that my car in starting production.

Simon

Hi Simon,
I ordered my i3 REX on Jan 4th 2014 but found out in March that the color white was not available in 2014.
So we changed my order to the Ionic Silver on April 5th and was told that all the Active E folks were getting delivery of the i3's they ordered before other customers.
My order went into production on June 23rd and delivery was expected to be delivered in August.
The estimate I was given was to expect delivery about 7 weeks (for California customers) after it goes into production.

But on June 17th, I was very lucky when I called the dealer to get an update, they told me one of the Active E customers wanted to wait a few months to purchased their car arriving on June 21st - He said did I want it? -
Of course I said Yes!!! :D
So we swapped orders and I took delivery on Saturday June 21st (this car went into Production on May 7th) and I am having a blast driving it all week!!!
Good Luck to you,
Frannie

Frannie and Simon,
Ordered Jan 14 in white, never heard that white was an issue. Currently my white i3 is on the MV Carmen heading for Panama so I expect to see it about the 25th of July.

Brian

frannieM3i3 said:
simonb said:
Hello all,

Simon

Hi Simon,
I ordered my i3 REX on Jan 4th 2014 but found out in March that the color white was not available in 2014.

Frannie

Ordered a loaded Rex on June 7th. It went into production on June 30th and, as of today, is awaiting transport to port of exit. As long as we don't get hung up at the port there is a good chance I will have my car by the end of July/first week of August. :)

My REx started production on 5/21, was assembled on 5/30, quality checked on 6/2, transported from the factory (Leipzig) to Bremerhaven on 6/23, and is currently awaiting a ride on a boat.

I ordered Arravani grey Loft Rex mid-March (week 12). Delivery promised week 43. (I'm not sure what "delivery means!).
I saw an Arravani in the wild, and so changed order to Solar Orange :p mid-April! Still week 43 delivery.
On the 1st July I checked delivery date, and now it's being quoted as week 35 (end of August). Yippee! :D (It starts build week 32, apparently)

jtoast said:
Ordered a loaded Rex on June 7th. It went into production on June 30th and, as of today, is awaiting transport to port of exit. As long as we don't get hung up at the port there is a good chance I will have my car by the end of July/first week of August. :)

Don't take this the wrong way, but...I hate you :D I'm looking at 8 months now order-to-delivery. I ordered in early January and according to the dealer, as of a few days ago, probably won't take delivery until early August. This entire process has been one delay after another. I can only assume that it's a combination of location (oil-loving Texas) and options: Tera BEV, Solar Orange, w/ the brown leather. Good thing for them that I'm all-in on the car, otherwise I would have canceled months ago...

Ordered mine on April 7th, 2014. Was originally told production would start week 24, but it was delayed till this week, week 28 production started today. I am assuming 6 or 7 weeks till delivery. So I am hoping for a late August delivery in the USA.

In the USA, the dealer can order vehicles for 'stock' or he can order them for a specific customer. And, if he has one that is about to be produced, but has not been sold, he can adjust the options to whatever a customer wants, and then it gets a little bit more priority than one just for stock. This can help you get a vehicle exactly the way you want it earlier than in some other markets where they have already functionally sold out anything already in the pipeline to be built. I expect that may happen in the USA now that people may begin to see them on the road - interest and demand may increase. SOme that bought the thing unseen are probably in the minority...most people like to see and touch something before they buy it, especially when it costs a bunch of money.

How quickly you can get a vehicle depends on how many both your dealer and your country was allocated. Until the supply increases, or the demand decreases, that's just the nature of things.

In the USA, the dealer's allocations and their sales have not been stressed badly (yet?!). IT may never happen, but it could. Since the USA sells more bigger vehicles with thirstier engines, BMW has an incentive to offset that corporate average fuel economy figure (CAFE) by making more electric vehicles available. In Europe and elsewhere, where diesels and smaller 4-cylinder gasoline engines are more common, the incentive isn't as great, and that may be one reason, so far at least, the USA has not seen a big deficit of availability. But, you can't get blood from a stone, so to speak...they can only make so many, and while they are trying to put things in place to ramp that up, these things take time.

My dealer tried the "105" approach in April to no avail. Dealers here in the Midwest didn't have the allocations to support this tactic. I had to settle for a 4 month long wait for a car that has to date not started production.

I placed an order last week using my dealer's allocation and he gave me the production number later that day. He said I could expect the car mid August, I hope he is correct. BMW website says my order is documented and is waiting to begin production.

FrancisJeffries said:
I ordered Arravani grey Loft Rex mid-March (week 12). Delivery promised week 43. (I'm not sure what "delivery means!).
I saw an Arravani in the wild, and so changed order to Solar Orange :p mid-April! Still week 43 delivery.
On the 1st July I checked delivery date, and now it's being quoted as week 35 (end of August). Yippee! :D (It starts build week 32, apparently)
How have you found out dates? My dealer not offered any info like that.

uktechie said:
FrancisJeffries said:
How have you found out dates? My dealer not offered any info like that.

In the US anyway the dealer has an allocation and that allocation comes with a production date/slot and estimated delivery. delivery is a little trickier as in the US it depends on how soon the vehicle can catch a ride after it arrives at the port and possible delays at the port of entry after it arrives before it can catch a ride on a truck. My i3 was originally scheduled for week 24 production start and it was delayed to week 28 due the the brown leather shortage BMW was experiencing. At least that is what I was told. anyway with it in production now my dealer says I should get it in 5 weeks or approximately week 33.

Back