elptex

Re: UK i3 buyers - Newbie questions on buying costs

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:09 am

Tengocity wrote:That's a pretty hefty mileage! I guess the more miles you do the more it makes financial sense!
Our daily commute is 74 miles round trip. That comes to a hefty number of miles per year :) That doesn't even include non-work-commute mileage.
Avg ~72 mile/charge over ~9k miles

Tengocity

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:56 am

elptex wrote:
Tengocity wrote:That's a pretty hefty mileage! I guess the more miles you do the more it makes financial sense!
Our daily commute is 74 miles round trip. That comes to a hefty number of miles per year :) That doesn't even include non-work-commute mileage.
At least that sounds like it will be within range to complete without the REx being needed. My wife's commute is around 90 miles so likely she would need the REx most days, which starts to defeat the point I think. However, as it's M25 and M4 it is a relatively economical run.

The more I look at the figures I think the i3 will make a superb used purchase at 2 or 3 years old.

elptex

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 am

Tengocity wrote:
elptex wrote:
At least that sounds like it will be within range to complete without the REx being needed. My wife's commute is around 90 miles so likely she would need the REx most days, which starts to defeat the point I think. However, as it's M25 and M4 it is a relatively economical run.

The more I look at the figures I think the i3 will make a superb used purchase at 2 or 3 years old.
Even at 74 mile range, we'd routinely be using the REX unfortunately--particularly in the winter. Plus a couple evenings in the week when we need to do an additional 10 or so miles (quick shop or to the gym).

Our commute is on the M4 as well; the i3 isn't great at motorway speeds but that doesn't matter at commuter times because we barely break 60mph at those times, with an average trip speed of just 30mph.

Tengocity

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:54 pm

[/quote]

Even at 74 mile range, we'd routinely be using the REX unfortunately--particularly in the winter. Plus a couple evenings in the week when we need to do an additional 10 or so miles (quick shop or to the gym).

Our commute is on the M4 as well; the i3 isn't great at motorway speeds but that doesn't matter at commuter times because we barely break 60mph at those times, with an average trip speed of just 30mph.[/quote]

If you guys are expecting that at 74 miles then makes 90 miles look even more inappropriate. We still haven't had a test drive yet... may I ask which dealer you're using?

elptex

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:11 am

You definitely need to test-drive it. We have ordered ours through Reading Cooper BMW. 100% recommend the individuals there (verdict is still hung with BMW itself and the lack of care for the UK market).

We did an extended test drive and determined that the battery range is solid for 74 miles per day...except probably for winter. We are now considering getting the battery prep to help alleviate the loss of performance in the cold (we park in our garage so that helps too).

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”