Tengocity
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:36 am

UK i3 buyers - Newbie questions on buying costs

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:41 am

Hi there, I'm looking in to the i3 for me and wife- it will replace a Z4 and join our existing 335d tourer.

I'm trying to get a good idea of what is a realistic monthly cost to have a REx one, with a view to doing around 10-12k miles per year. Anyone care to share what kind of figures their deals worked out as? And are these as lease deals or PCP's?

We would trade the Z4 in, and expect to have around 3k as a deposit, but would rather minimise the deposit and consider a pure monthly running cost.

Similarly, what are people working out as the cost to fully charge the i3 at home in the UK?

Thanks for any help and advice!

MikeS
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:29 am
Location: Brighton UK

Re: UK i3 buyers - Newbie questions on buying costs

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:18 am

Snap - I sold my Z4 and am waiting for an i3REX.

I opted to take the BMW personal lease option (I am retired so have no access to other deals like those for self employed) and I don’t want to worry about its resale value.

I wanted to pay the full cost up front but the BMW finance would not allow it. Therefore, at the moment I have an offer over 48 months with paying the max deposit (£18800) and then 47 payments of £43.92. However, the costs obviously vary depending on the options you take - my cars total cost for cash was £30210 inc government grant.
BMW 3 Series 2005 - Aug 2014
BMW Z4 35i 2009 - Mar 2014
BMW X1 Mar 14
BMW i3 Sep 14

Tengocity
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:36 am

Re: UK i3 buyers - Newbie questions on buying costs

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:55 am

Thanks Mike - so are you saying it's not possible to just buy a car outright with cash? Not that I would!

What have you worked out the real UK cost to charge one up to be?

BrianStanier
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:00 pm
Location: Durham, UK

Re: UK i3 buyers - Newbie questions on buying costs

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:41 am

You can certainly buy outright for cash.

The i3 takes about 22 kWh to fully charge. The cost will depend on how much you pay for electricity. We are on a 100% renewable tariff from Good Energy and that is roughly 15p/kWh, so a full charge costs just over £3. Many users have an economy rate and would pay much less.
Last edited by BrianStanier on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plug
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:17 pm
Location: UK

Re: UK i3 buyers - Newbie questions on buying costs

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:00 am

Tengocity wrote:What have you worked out the real UK cost to charge one up to be?
I'm keeping records and when I charge overnight on the night tariff I'm paying 91p per full charge (including losses). Since getting the car my leccy bill has gone up by about £15 a month and that's for about 1k miles per month. It's almost laughable how inexpensive the costs are. The longer I own an EV the more I wonder why there aren't more of them on our roads :?:

Tengocity
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:36 am

Re: UK i3 buyers - Newbie questions on buying costs

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks guys, that's really useful.

Anyone leasing or using a low deposit PCP?

I'm guessing that it's going to be £450pm, give or take depending on mileage and length of deal?

bishbosh
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Northamptonshire UK

Re: UK i3 buyers - Newbie questions on buying costs

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Tengocity wrote:Thanks guys, that's really useful.

Anyone leasing or using a low deposit PCP?

I'm guessing that it's going to be £450pm, give or take depending on mileage and length of deal?
I'm on pcp.


Initial cost of car including options and less gov grant £33500


£10000 deposit

36 x £362

Final payment £13500

Thats roughly what it cost me without looking it up...

MikeS
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:29 am
Location: Brighton UK

Re: UK i3 buyers - Newbie questions on buying costs

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:42 pm

Tengocity wrote:Thanks Mike - so are you saying it's not possible to just buy a car outright with cash? Not that I would!

What have you worked out the real UK cost to charge one up to be?

Yes you can buy it outright with cash but for me that was not attractive as I do not wish to gamble on the re sale value. However, BMW would not let me pay the full personal lease cost up front with a 1p a month finance. What I posted was the minimum monthly payment they would except.
BMW 3 Series 2005 - Aug 2014
BMW Z4 35i 2009 - Mar 2014
BMW X1 Mar 14
BMW i3 Sep 14

elptex
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 1:44 am
Location: Henley On Thames UK

Re: UK i3 buyers - Newbie questions on buying costs

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:01 am

bishbosh wrote:
Tengocity wrote:Thanks guys, that's really useful.

Anyone leasing or using a low deposit PCP?

I'm guessing that it's going to be £450pm, give or take depending on mileage and length of deal?
I'm on pcp.


Initial cost of car including options and less gov grant £33500


£10000 deposit

36 x £362

Final payment £13500

Thats roughly what it cost me without looking it up...
Similar here on PCP:

£30500 cost less gov grant

£7500 deposit
18000 miles per year
£450/mo (36 months)

£11500 final payment (not sure exact amount, somewhere around there)
Avg ~72 mile/charge over ~9k miles

Tengocity
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:36 am

Re: UK i3 buyers - Newbie questions on buying costs

Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:36 am

elptex wrote:
bishbosh wrote:
Tengocity wrote:Thanks guys, that's really useful.

Anyone leasing or using a low deposit PCP?

I'm guessing that it's going to be £450pm, give or take depending on mileage and length of deal?
I'm on pcp.


Initial cost of car including options and less gov grant £33500


£10000 deposit

36 x £362

Final payment £13500

Thats roughly what it cost me without looking it up...
Similar here on PCP:

£30500 cost less gov grant

£7500 deposit
18000 miles per year
£450/mo (36 months)

£11500 final payment (not sure exact amount, somewhere around there)

That's a pretty hefty mileage! I guess the more miles you do the more it makes financial sense!

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”