Production time start to end?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindmachine

I was wondering how long it takes from production start to finish? Anyone who had a production number and tracked theirs from start to finish, how long did the production cycle take.

I ordered my car back in April, start production was noted as happening on July 8th, and as of today still showing as still in production?

mindmachine said:
I was wondering how long it takes from production start to finish? Anyone who had a production number and tracked theirs from start to finish, how long did the production cycle take.

I ordered my car back in April, start production was noted as happening on July 8th, and as of today still showing as still in production?

Guess I don't need an answer, I called the BMW 800 number and find my car is in transit even though their web site says it is still in production.

Thanks anyway Guys!

I'd been told that the US status website was more 'current', but it appears that's still not the case after years! Your best answer is to check the dealership...their info is updated more frequently than the 'customer' database.

I believe I recall reading they can make 100 cars per day at Leipzig? The status seen by customers is not updated often enough to know the actual production status but is a good approximation of the vehicles place in the pipeline.

I know you said you didn't need an answer but I thought I would give you one anyway in case someone else surfs by.

I placed my order on June 2nd 2014
Car went into production on June 28th
Car finished production on July 4th
Car sailed to the US on the Columbia Highway on July 17th
Columbia Highway docked today, August 1st, in Brunswick GA and is offloading mine and other vehicles.
Per my dealer, I should have my car no later than the 15th but we shall see.

EDIT:
Had the wrong production start date. It's fixed now.

jtoast said:
I know you said you didn't need an answer but I thought I would give you one anyway in case someone else surfs by.

I placed my order on June 2nd 2014
Car went into production on June 31st
Car finished production on July 4th
Car sailed to the US on the Columbia Highway on July 17th
Columbia Highway docked today, August 1st, in Brunswick GA and is offloading mine and other vehicles.
Per my dealer, I should have my car no later than the 15th but we shall see.

Wow that is almost impossible to believe, Anyway June 30th there is not 31st of June, but only 4 days in production start to finish?

Watching online I have never seen start to finish production in less than 9 days. Mine took 21 days in the production cycle.

Sorry I am nor questioning you, Go figure though? What happens to make production times vary from 4 days to 22 days?

mindmachine said:
Watching online I have never seen start to finish production in less than 9 days.
Mine took 8 days production start to end. Then another 8 days to Bremerhaven, and another 8 days to board the Lyra Leader (2 days through customs + 6 days sitting at port and ship loading). Current estimate is 27 days on the ship until it reaches Oxnard, CA (on 8/15). However, it did reach Porto Rico this morning, one day early.

mindmachine said:
Wow that is almost impossible to believe, Anyway June 30th there is not 31st of June, but only 4 days in production start to finish?

Just realised I looked at the wrong month on my calendar. It went into production on a Saturday so that would have been June 28th, not June 30th.

jtoast said:
mindmachine said:

Just realized I looked at the wrong month on my calendar. It went into production on a Saturday so that would have been June 28th, not June 30th.

That sounds better, but still production times are varying a lot it would seem.

When I toured the factory in Munich, they said the cars there took about 6-days from start to driving off the end of the line. The i3, with the large structures out of aluminum and CFRP, is more glue and bolt together, rather than weld, then paint. It really should go together faster.

When I had a look at the Facebook i3 Production vids, two questions struck me:
(1) when -and to what part of the nascent car - is the VIN allocated?
(2) The paintshop sequence made me realise that the spray booths must be used for a single batch of the same colour to ensure no colour mixing. (And one of the shots of the production line shows that they are all the same colour on the line).
The second point made me wonder whether the choice of colour affects the delivery, because when I changed my order in April from Arrivani Grey to Solar Orange I discovered that my delivery date had moved forward from end of October to end of August!
Good move :lol: .

FrancisJeffries said:
The second point made me wonder whether the choice of colour affects the delivery, because when I changed my order in April from Arrivani Grey to Solar Orange I discovered that my delivery date had moved forward from end of October to end of August!

Leather interior? There has been lots of talk about those with leather being pushed back due to supply, resulting in non-leather interior moving up.

FrancisJeffries said:
When I had a look at the Facebook i3 Production vids, two questions struck me:
(1) when -and to what part of the nascent car - is the VIN allocated?
(2) The paintshop sequence made me realise that the spray booths must be used for a single batch of the same colour to ensure no colour mixing. (And one of the shots of the production line shows that they are all the same colour on the line).

Mine completed assembly the end of July, the 28th actually, so if that moved you up to August, I would not think there would be that much time between color changes? Who knows, the production numbers seem to be whacky too.

FrancisJeffries said:
(2) The paintshop sequence made me realise that the spray booths must be used for a single batch of the same colour to ensure no colour mixing.
Assuming that BMW uses the same robots for the i3 as they do in all of the other production plants, changing color takes about 30-seconds - they 'park' the spray head in a special socket, and pick up the new one, and are ready to paint. The fact that there were a sequence of cars all the same color was likely just a coincidence.

Unlike most car production where much of the painting is done on the mostly assembled body, it seems the i3 has separately painted panels all painted before any assembly. There is no reason they could not pre-paint any number of sets in each color and just pull them up as needed for vehicle assembly.

FrancisJeffries said:
...The paintshop sequence made me realise that the spray booths must be used for a single batch of the same colour to ensure no colour mixing. (And one of the shots of the production line shows that they are all the same colour on the line).
One of the advantages of thermoplastic composite body panels is the capability to impregnate the color throughout the thickness of the material, meaning scratches will not show up as a different color. According to this article about i3 manufacturing http://www.automotivemanufacturingsolutions.com/focus/switching-on-to-electric:

All visible body parts are impregnated with colour, thus eliminating the need for a painting stage on the assembly line.

Back