Used i3s

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlassen72

I am a current owner of a fiat 500e. I picked up a 3 year old 2014 500e used for pocket change, and have been very happy with it. the range is just enough to be my daily commute, and I haven't had any reliability issues with it.

the things that made me willing to take a flyer on the 500e was

a) the actively cooled/heated battery (passively cooled batteries are an issue in the hotter parts of CA: see Nissan Leaf)
b) the lack of 440 charger that could degrade battery life over time.
c) the incredibly cheap price.

I have been eyeing BMW's... particularly the 2014s... it seems I could get one for 13K.

Is there anything egregiously wrong with the model launch year?
while 13K is a bit more than the 7K in pocket change, it still seems dirt cheap for a 5 year old BMW, but it being out of warranty would have me slightly concerned as repairs will probably be very expensive.

Are there any long term battery issues that have cropped up with the i3? or maintenance issues?
or is the cheap price just a matter of general used EV fear, and relatively low range compared to later model EVs?

Any thoughts on weather the 2014 represents a bargain, or if 3K more for a 2015 would be worthwhile would be appreciated.

Deals like this are what I'm talking about.
https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/i3/2014/vin/WBY1Z2C56EVX51545/

The two big things are warranty and options.

The 2015 made standard a few things that were options on the 2014 - most notably DC Fast Charging. If you ever want to take your i3 on road trips, or you don't have everyday access to charging, you are going to want DC Fast Charging. The listing in your second comment doesn't say if it has DCFC or not.

The all-electric i3 is reasonably reliable, and hasn't shown a tendency to rapid battery degradation the way early Nissan Leafs have.

IT depends a lot on how you intend to use the car. Some people use the i3 REx as an only car. While it can be used in this manner, that comes with a lot of compromises I'm not willing to make. I chose a BEV, since more than 95% of my driving needs are well within its range. I have the luxury of a second car that I can use on longer trips.

Most any teething pains will have been worked out over the years since release by either recalls or service campaigns. You could check with a BMW dealer to determine if all appropriate ones have been applied to the vehicle of interest. Those should still be a free service, even if out of warranty. There haven't been all that many.

Back