Buy an EV new or buy used and wait

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkel

I drove the I3, Bolt, and thinking of testing out the Model 3. The Chevy Bolt dealerships have some great prices on new now and probably can get top of the line for $33000. Subtract $3500 fed and $2500 state equals $27000 electric car that has a 230 + range. Or, buy a Tesla Model 3 for 43000 out the door minus the govt credits for $36000. I am not considering BMW new. (Model 3 wins in every category; price, looks, speed, materials, range, resale...)
-or-
buy an used BMW i3. 2015 with a bit of warranty left are about $16000 and a 2017 are $20500 (bare bones). If buying used I can use it for 3 years and wait for other EVs to come to the market.

What do you think?

I think you should get a car you are happy with. If you get anything else, you will probably sell it at a loss in a year or two.

BMW improved the i3 considerably since 2015. I'd want an LCI (face lift) which started in the 2018 model year. It might be cheaper to lease an new one for 3 years instead of buying a used one and selling it in 3 years.

https://insideevs.com/news/334702/new-2018-bmw-i3-amp-i3s-compared-full-specs-massive-gallery-video/

AndrewDebbie said:
I think you should get a car you are happy with. If you get anything else, you will probably sell it at a loss in a year or two.

BMW improved the i3 considerably since 2015. I'd want an LCI (face lift) which started in the 2018 model year. It might be cheaper to lease an new one for 3 years instead of buying a used one and selling it in 3 years.

https://insideevs.com/news/334702/new-2018-bmw-i3-amp-i3s-compared-full-specs-massive-gallery-video/

I have No desire to go after the sport. If I want to boost up to that price level I would pitch in a bit more and go get a Tesla model 3. Even though I can easily afford any car listed, I still don’t like paying high dollars for a car. I usually let others pay for the huge depreciation drop. In other words, I buy used 👌

What gets fuzzy is how much the 2017 models will depreciate in 3-4 years. Will they take a huge hit like the 2014? Dunno. BMW is underestimating the battery range for this year. Plus, they probably shook off all the issues that usually accompanies new car models. It could be a good buy or maybe not so much?

Right now I am leaning towards BMW i3 2017 but will take a 2015 with a warranty if it is a screaming deal.

I can wait but only for awhile

I'm dealing with the same dilemma. I want the new one because after 2 years of having an eGolf EV, the 2019 i3 with 153+ will totally work for me. I hear a lot of people saying "I hardly ever use the REX".

I think the 2017 probably has the best bang for the buck in the used department. The 14's are only going for about $15K so if i'm going to save $5K i might as well get the bigger range and newer tech of the 2017.

But I know in my mind I really want the 2019 BEV. It just costs more. :sigh: Life's dilemmas... The reality is, i'm going to love either of them. It's more a question of how long i keep one vs. the other.

Jkel said:
I still don’t like paying high dollars for a car. I usually let others pay for the huge depreciation drop. In other words, I buy used 👌

What gets fuzzy is how much the 2017 models will depreciate in 3-4 years. Will they take a huge hit like the 2014? Dunno. B

My thinking....

In general I buy used or lease new. I've been leasing* EVs because the technology is changing so rapidly. I had my LEAF 30 on a 2-year PCP with the plan to buy our next EV. The contract ended without there being anything worth buying as a long term keeper. I'm leasing an i3 as an interim car. Hoping I can get into a used Model 3 or ???? 3 years from now.

Have you asked for lease quotes on a new i3? You might be surprised. Total cost might be competitive or even lower than buying a used 2017 and selling it 3 years from now.

I think the 2017 probably has the best bang for the buck in the used department.

Agree, at least as far American i3's are concerned. The asking prices for '18s on US AutoTrader look silly to me. I don't know why. Here in the UK, the best i3 deals are for unsold left over 2018s. UK dealers plate** them and sell or lease at a considerable discount.

My guess is the US resale for 2017's will fall like a rock. That's ok if you keep the car a long time. Run the car into the ground and resale doesn't matter. If you stick to your plan and keep the car 3 years, you do have to consider resale.

As a rule the value of any new BMW falls off a cliff when you drive it off the lot and takes another dive when factory warranty runs out. Buying a '17 means taking advantage of the first cliff and falling off the second one.

In the US, BMW discounts the new i3 heavily. They also get the tax credits. I've seen lease deals with well over $10,000 in credits and up-front discounts. On top of that BMWFS subvent the residuals to get the payments down. The big discounts must impact on what people are willing to pay for used ones. MY 18 prices make no sense to me. Leasing a new one for 3 years is probably a LOT less expensive than buying a 2018 and selling it 3 years from now.

Reliability should be much better but the '17s still only have the 94Ah battery. The are before the face lift. Both the s and the regular i3 are different starting with MY 18. You should look at one even if you aren't going to buy. That will give you an idea of what you will be selling against, 3 years from now.

The 120Ah is out now and there will probably be another battery bump within the next three years.

=============

*UK finance is different than the US. It would take pages to explain the differences. Easiest to just say lease.
** plating - UK dealer buys their own stock and registers it to the dealership. They put a number plate on the car and sell it as used.

olbedhead said:
I hear a lot of people saying "I hardly ever use the REX".

I've had my 2018 94Ah i3s Rex for a month. I haven't used the Rex at all. We drove to Anglesey <--> Liverpool entirely on battery.

200 miles. Two CCS rapid charges. Finished the day with 15% battery.

I only have the Rex because it was cheaper to lease a Rex than BEV. Makes no sense to me. I'll take the lower payments and put up with lugging around the scooter motor.

You've made some observations, all of which are true but you haven't told us much about your situation. There's no objective answer that's best in all situations. It really depends on your unique situation. The i3 is not for everyone, but it's for more than who will admit. Get the BEV if you can. Get the REX if you need. 70% of us do.

Back