New i3 REX owner!!!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam78

Thanks in part to this forum, I traded in my pretty economical and small Abarth 500C in for an extremely economical and larger i3! It's a 2016 with 15K miles, and the dealer experience was rough to say the least, but I'm overall incredibly happy with my purchase! I don't have a charging station at home yet and the occasional charger is... Slow so that'll be a purchase soon. I just need to find if the BMW charger is actually any better than say the juice box or other 3rd parties.

A general question I have is, do I need inspection in NJ? I bought the car out of state, and it has no sticker. I imagine it's exempt but I'm not sure if the Rex changes that at all. Thanks again for the help with everything!

Adam78 said:
Thanks in part to this forum, I traded in my pretty economical and small Abarth 500C in for an extremely economical and larger i3! It's a 2016 with 15K miles, and the dealer experience was rough to say the least, but I'm overall incredibly happy with my purchase! I don't have a charging station at home yet and the occasional charger is... Slow so that'll be a purchase soon. I just need to find if the BMW charger is actually any better than say the juice box or other 3rd parties.

A general question I have is, do I need inspection in NJ? I bought the car out of state, and it has no sticker. I imagine it's exempt but I'm not sure if the Rex changes that at all. Thanks again for the help with everything!

Congrats! I just bought a REx as well. My 335is was killing me on gas and the i3s has turned into such a great car. Unfortunately I am also on 110V 'trickle charger' but have an Electrify America in the city for DC charging or a level 2 at a BMW dealership near work.

R6NAODv.jpg

I've been researching chargers and installing on my own... The Juicebox 40 or a Clipper Creek are high on my list. If you are talking TurboCord charger I think that the plug style is a downside; NEMA 14-50 is more common if you want a portable charger to take with you for Level 2 charger on the go. [EDIT: I see 14-50 to 6-20 adapters for cheap on Amazon... nevermind]

Check out this thread on these forums for a fantastic installation: hamanncheese's DIY Installation Guide for the ClipperCreek LCS-30p

I've been very satisfied with my Clipper Creek HCS-40P but I was looking for a simple EVSE without any bells or whistles.
-Tim

I had a Clipper Creek 110 charger. When I started finding that the cord near the socket was almost too hot to touch, and you could smell hot plastic as soon as you walked into the garage, it put me off them (and was the Clipper Creek charger not the socket, as I changed the socket out to a commercial grade one, and tried a friends 110 charger which worked fine, as a test). I returned the defective charger to Clipper Creek, and they replaced it, but I promptly sold it on eBay, and got a home-size 220 one from an outfit that mainly builds chargers for Apartment and Office complexes. Figured if they were building commercial units, their home unit would be robust - and it's U.S. made. No bells and whistles on it, but I like that you can manually set it for the size amp breaker your home panel will support. Has worked flawlessly.

Attachments

• Charger.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 3,153
Back to your original question on inspection, Missouri surprised me with an $87 alternative fuel tax. Apparently, that's to cover the gas tax I'm not paying by using electricity. Do other states do this?

Back