Buying used 2014

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave71

Usually I would never consider a lemon, but the price on this one is so low for the area. Here is the URL: https://www.chicagofinemotors.com/VIN/WBY1Z4C52EV277783 . There is a free carfax on there- the car is a lemon from California, battery was replaced at 37k miles. Would this be a good buy?

ROTFLMAO @ "RARE Range Extender" in the description.

Considering that two subsequent owners have racked up 40K miles on it since the lemon buy-back, I would think that it is a working vehicle with no issues. Then again, the fact that three different owners have now punted on it after 0-2 years of ownership is reason enough to walk away for most people. Does the 8-year battery warranty apply to lemon buy-backs? I'm assuming that the battery replacement at 37K was only the 12V battery (and not the traction batteries), since they routinely fail in ~4 years.

There is the possibility that the original owner had buyer's remorse (or a faulty electric outlet in his/her house), and wanted out of the car through the lemon law since they would not lose any money. Is it worth the gamble on a car with 41K miles that does not appear to have any of the desirable packages? Personally, I'd walk away from this one.

I wasn't shopping for a REx, so I never dug deeper into this. Supposedly, California issues expiring carpool lane stickers for REx cars, and they cannot be renewed once they expire in a few years. (BEV cars supposedly get lifetime stickers.) I would imagine that the prices of those in California are lower, but not a concern outside of that state. Would shipping one to Illinois from California be cheaper than the local prices?????

vreihen said:
Supposedly, California issues expiring carpool lane stickers for REx cars, and they cannot be renewed once they expire in a few years. (BEV cars supposedly get lifetime stickers.) I would imagine that the prices of those in California are lower, but not a concern outside of that state. Would shipping one to Illinois from California be cheaper than the local prices?????

Not accurate. The California HOV sticker program is designed to encourage adding new clean air vehicles to the overall fleet so all stickers have an expiration date. Here’s an overview.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/decal

Back