Ordered a 2020 i3s...changing options?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timjohn

Hello there,

My very first posting. After testing a 2019 i3s I fell totally enchanted by this beautiful little car. I have an astronomy hobby and one of the most important features I felt I needed was a "boot" that was sufficiently large enough to accommodate my equipment. So off to the dealerships I went with a tape measure. I checked out the Kia Soul, Hyundai Kona, Kia Niro, Ford Bolt and then finally the BMW i3S. Nothing seemed to come close to the size of the Kia Niro. But my final trip to the BMW dealer was my last. Once in the store, out came the tape measure and my pen and notebook. I sat in the drivers seat and admired the nice interior. So unique and lots of attention to details.

In my judgement (intuitively), I didn't think this would work. My 14.5" DOB mirror box measured 24"x 24" x 30" assembled so the height of the "boot" was 28.5". The only way this would work if I partially disassembled the box which was not a big deal and had two boxes that had a decreased height. So as I was leaving through the front door, the customer relations manager was opening the door for me and we started up a conversation. He had some schooling in astronomy (university courses) and was intrigued of my predicament. So he made me an offer. Why don't I take one home for the evening and try it! There was one sitting in the lot that just needed some topping up. I went off to lunch and upon my return, he passed me the FOB and off I went.

My first impression was... what a nice driving car. It is so quiet and refined. It is so responsive and the cabin seems so open with lots of clear views of the road. Once at home, my better half scolding me as expected. "Did you just buy a car???" A little explanation and peace was restored for the moment. So I drove around in our city and then her and I sort of agreed that my equipment wouldn't fit. Without even trying, I resigned to this.

Later that evening, she headed off with to dinner with friends and I was sitting around and then I decided in the dead of night to load up my telescope. Everything fit in there. I was surprised.

So the next morning, I returned the i3S and made a deal.

So my question. I ordered a 2020 model 10 days ago. Then I realized I wanted to change my options to the "enhanced" package that included Navigation Business, 10.5 " screen and driver assist feature. Yesterday I went to the salesperson and asked if this can be changed. His first response was no ...it has been ordered. But he said since its the long weekend he will look into it and will get back to me.

What do you think??

Timothy

I don't have first-hand ordering experience with the i3, or for that matter, BMW.

When the dealership submits a custom order, there is a hierarchy of "allocations" from the manufacturer. So there's a likelihood your order doesn't go into production right away, because other dealers have slots in front of yours.

At some point the car gets a production date, which can be weeks out. According to other posts on this topic, BMW allows changes to the build sheet even a few days before production begins. However, I know from my custom order experience with Ford that your production slot can be subject to parts availability, so if there's a shortage on 10" screens (just as a for instance), then you might get bumped.

At some point close to the production date your build sheet gets "locked in" and can't be changed.

If you can get the dealer to provide the production number, you should be able to check this information first-hand on BMW's website.

Unless the dealer is trading or sourcing your car from another dealer, if in fact it is scheduled to be built, the order can be changed up until a few days before it is actually scheduled to start the build process.

Just got a call from the dealer and the upgrade is done. Such good news for me....14 days after I wrote on the dotted line and they were able to change the options on an order from Germany.

BMW uses a Just In Time (JIT) production system...it's all controlled via computers. So, since bits for cars may only be a day or two away from the supplier, changes can be made up until about a day or two before it is scheduled to be built. When I toured on factory in Munich, they said they had a new tractor trailer bringing in parts every 5-minutes and the conga line only stops overnight, since the factory had the city grow around them, they shut down overnight and only run two shifts.

If you're ever in SC, see if you can tour the BMW factory there...it's the largest exporter of vehicles in the USA.

Where are you located? (in California, seems like the dealers are still trying to get rid of all the leftover REX models and not taking new orders yet).

Do you have any information on pricing /options on the 2020 and how it compared to the 2019 model?

I am in Canada so I ordered a 2020 because of a couple of factors. Number 1, the "scrap it" program for 2019 in BC has ended which is a $6000 incentive so ordering a 2020 model would entitled me for that program. The exact details for 2020 program will be announced in December. I am waiting for it but the shame of it all is that my 2005 Scion xB is still a wonderful vehicle with only 70K miles.

I also wanted a certain colour (sorry fussy about it...no black and no white!). The price difference was a couple of grand (>60K in Can $)

OK I have done some digging and found out that in order to make a claim for the the scrap it program, your dealership has to become a participant. This involves them contacting the organization and agreeing to a contract (no money required). Since the deadline to do this is December 1st, 2019, I got on the phone and email and contacted the them. Just got a confirmation from the dealership that this has been processed. Once I get the vehicle then I have to jump through some administrative hoops, deliver the vehicle to a scrap it place, then wait for the funds.

For people in Vancouver, BC this is a generous incentive. At least in the year 2019 this was $6000. It can only be applied once per user ever. So the details of the 2020 program will be annouced in December.

Back