Guidance on BEV vs. REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alishafai

So, I am in the market for an i3 and plan on getting one in the next couple of months. For my needs I want a BEV variant, but since must-haves are Giga, Tech, color choice and low miles, there is not a lot of CPOs out there in the SF Bay Area checking all of those boxes.

So, I am now thinking I should be flexible and consider a REX as well. But, I like to better understand what that may mean from a maintenance perspective. I have been driving a Fiat 500e for the past 6 years and just love how there is no maintenance to worry about.

Do all of the considerations of having a traditional ICE car [oil changes, tuneup as, belts, hoses, etc?], come back into the picture, when one considers the REX variant?

Anything else that I should consider in choosing a REX instead of a BEV?

There are fewer loaded BEVs checking all the boxes, but they're out there.

If you want a Rex, buy one, but definitely don't settle for one.

I can fairly confidently say that despite the BEV being harder to find, they don't seem to move off the lot very quickly, which means you have room to negotiate.

I had a few good hits down at Stevens Creek, who say they don't negotiate, but eventually called me back and met my price.

Yes, all of the service issues of an ICE apply to an i3 REx. But, since most people don't run the thing all that often, that can be both good and bad. Good in that you don't put all that many hours on the thing. Bad in that one of the issues people tend to have seems to be triggered by moisture getting into places it shouldn't. For those that use theirs more often, that probably gets burned off and won't accumulate. The other thing on the REx engine is that it's only two cylinders, so when you do need to do something to it, at least you're only dealing with two where it could be eight or more on some others.

BMW is pretty adamant about flushing the brake system at 24-month intervals, most everything else is simple checks that don't require much of anything else to be done. On the REx, even with minimal usage, you should change the oil annually if you don't hit the mileage requirement. The other things like wipers, cabin filters, brakes, tires, are all pretty much the same except on the REx, you're carrying around an extra 300+ pounds of weight all of the time...that will affect both the tire life, performance, and your efficiency.

Having the REX may bring certain California CARB emissions-implied warranty clauses into play, such as extending the HV battery warranty.

I don't know what the HOV lane pass rules are on your side of the country, so you might want to check to see if they treat the BEV and REX differently if that perk applies to used vehicles and is important to you.

Personally, I cut the nozzle and went BEV, and it felt sleezy when I stopped at the fuel station the other day to top off my winter-driven pickup with some fresh winterized diesel.....

Hi everyone...

I am now the proud owner of a 2017 i3 BEV. I would like to thank everyone on this forum who provided guidance.

Thank YOU!

It had 9,665 miles and I bought it at $21,794. Terra with eucalyptus, Parking Assist Package and HK sound.

Back