2016 REx Advice

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudog3114

I am looking to buy a 2016 REx near me that is priced reasonably, etc. I am not new to EV's, but totally new to the i3. I just had a few questions that I cannot get year-by-year clarity on.

- Is the '16 model capable of level 3 charging? I didn't look at the port. If so, how many kW?
- Does the '16 have any steering assist with the Tech + Driving Assist Package?
- I tested the ACC briefly on the test drive, and it seemed to me to be capable of coming to a complete stop and resuming when traffic resumed. But, the stop I came to was only for a few seconds. Does it time out eventually and require driver input to resume again? If so, is it a tap on the gas or can I use the steering wheel resume button to resume?
- Other than the range improvement, is there anything significant I am missing out on with a 16 vs newer?
- Lets say I wanted to drive 300 miles without charging. Is the REx really capable of doing so on flat ground at 70ish mph? I have read a few things about extended climbs putting it into limp mode, but I wont really have that issue. Am I overworking the range extender by doing so or is this its intended purpose?
- Can the climate be remote controlled with the bmw app? If so, how long does it run before shutting off? I like to use it for my dogs in summer.

I think that's it... thanks in advance.

loudog3114 said:
I am looking to buy a 2016 REx near me that is priced reasonably, etc. I am not new to EV's, but totally new to the i3. I just had a few questions that I cannot get year-by-year clarity on.

- Is the '16 model capable of level 3 charging? I didn't look at the port. If so, how many kW?
- I tested the ACC briefly on the test drive, and it seemed to me to be capable of coming to a complete stop and resuming when traffic resumed. But, the stop I came to was only for a few seconds. Does it time out eventually and require driver input to resume again? If so, is it a tap on the gas or can I use the steering wheel resume button to resume?
- Other than the range improvement, is there anything significant I am missing out on with a 16 vs newer?
- Lets say I wanted to drive 300 miles without charging. Is the REx really capable of doing so on flat ground at 70ish mph? I have read a few things about extended climbs putting it into limp mode, but I wont really have that issue. Am I overworking the range extender by doing so or is this its intended purpose?
- Can the climate be remote controlled with the bmw app? If so, how long does it run before shutting off? I like to use it for my dogs in summer.

I think that's it... thanks in advance.

Yes, it should have DC up to 40-50Kw/hr.

In US, maybe only parking assist (if VIN has that Option) but no steering assist unless retrofitted with European parts or coded with TJA module.

times out and needs tap on the gas, color change of ACC indicates active or not. Maybe the resume button works too (don't recall)

Perhaps Idrive is newer version, Apple Carplay or Android Auto availability. Different colors, interior trims, S and sport package available in MY18s+, maybe more, don't recall.

Yes, you can, probably made easier by coding for HSOC (Hold state of charge). It may have some lesser climatization under 6% without HSOC IIRC.

It can (some folks complain about remote app not working well, but mine works well). I believe it runs for about 15-30 mins. I believe it is not like pet mode for tesla and would use caution about its use for safety for pets from what I've read

The other person answered a lot of the questions, so I think you're good. I'm confused on the 300 mile thing though. You won't get even close to that. Best case scenario, you'll get 110 miles on EV range + maybe 90 miles from the REX (and that's if it's modded). That's 200 miles at best. There's no way you'll hit 300 miles w/o charging. Am I reading something wrong? The 2016 has the smallest battery.

The car is rated at 72 miles EV and less than 72 miles on the REX. Even BMW doesn't claim mileage higher than 144 miles.

Maybe they meant 300Km instead of miles.

On the REx, most people are seeing between 30-40 mpg, so with 2.2g, you'd be pressed to achieve even 100-miles of REx assisted range. Now, just like on an ICE, how fast you're going does make a difference...while you don't have direct control over how fast the REx decides it needs to run, it will ramp up when the load goes up (primarily because you're going faster, but it can also be you're climbing a grade or have the heater turned up). The BEV has a heat pump that can make a fairly significant difference when you're needing heat versus the REx.

If I read the question correctly, you can easily go 300 miles without charging. You can go 3,000 miles without charging. You'll be stopping to fill up the ridiculously small gas tank every 60 miles or so, but it's not going to hurt the REX engine. I've seen where other people who take their REX on long trips will carry a gas can or two with them to make it easier to stretch time between gas stations. Still need to pull over, but at least it's a bit of a safety net when you're in the middle of nowhere.

edit: I'm not sure if you can maintain 70mph on REX on flat ground, that seems to be close to the limits based on what I've read.

That's correct. 70mph is about the limit on flat ground where you're pulling more or less the same amount of juice that the generator is able to supply into the electric motor. Gas mileage isn't great on gas on the i3 so it's not the preferred method. Need to remember the whole purpose of it being a serial hybrid with gas generating electricity is that the generator weighs less than a battery providing the equivalent increase in range. It's all for weight efficiency. The car really isn't meant to drive long distances. It's an urban commuter but of course a lot of us test the limits. Just don't expect more than it's designed to do.

Back