New Order

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3maybe

Well I have turned from i3maybe to 'i3 firm order'.

Mine is coming at the end of March / start of April.

Have specced up a standard i3 to just under the £40k list price level (above which there is more road tax in the UK). Managed to get all the options I really wanted within this figure and got a very good discount through 'UK New Cars'.

Agonized over the 19"/20" wheel choice but went for 19" in the end on the basis that the roads are so full of pot holes where I live that any extra sidewall on the tyre is welcome and might improve ride comfort and reduce the risk of tyre and alloy wheel damage. i hope!!!

I have seen on the internet a 'Trunk Extension' sold by a guy in Germany which gives 35 litres of extra storage space in the back where the motor would be on the REX. Quite expensive - but then everything is for an i3! Just wondered if anyone on here has bought and fitted one of these and what they think of it?

Also going to need some decent over-mats and a load liner to protect the boot. Any suggestions on good UK sourced items welcome.

Mike

Agonized over the 19"/20" wheel choice but went for 19" in the end on the basis that the roads are so full of pot holes where I live that any extra sidewall on the tyre is welcome and might improve ride comfort and reduce the risk of tyre and alloy wheel damage. i hope!!!

Definitely a smart move.

Bought mine with the 20" wheels. Inside of 4 months on our pot-hole'd roads, had bent all four rims, and put pinch blisters in two tires, ruining them. Luckily found a set of 19" i3 rims on my local Craig's List for $300. Since I went to 19", no more wheel or tire damage. Plus the ride on the 20" was much harsher than it is on the 19" tires/wheels.

FWIW, all of the 20" tire options (essentially one) are summer rubber/tread tires. While parts of the UK may not get super cold, the traction with the summer tire tread is not great as it gets closer to freezing.

Well I am feeling better about the 19" wheel/tyre choice already!!

Yes I see that the 20" wheel has no winter tyre option - seems pretty incredible given that there is nothing available 6 years after launch!!

Art - yes definitely got a Rearguard on the shopping list - maybe with a Weathertech boot liner as well which looks good quality and appears to cover the plastic inner boot trim.

Mike

Back