Overwhelmed buying used i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YKK

This is my first time buying a car. I've decided on 2017 (am open to a 2016 as well but there are nearly 5x the 2017's available near me) for the battery and like the idea of REX as an emergency option I'd hopefully never use although it's not a deal breaker. I'd like gray color, leather interior, and big navigation screen. Basically, a fully loaded car. I think I need to narrow down and write a list of cars I'm interested in and compare the list. However, I don't know what to look for really. Can you please help identify the features that you really liked/unusual ones to look out for? I'm using mdecoder.com . Is there a list of features and what they mean somewhere? I am especially interested in the technology ones as I can't see them in pictures and would like to be able to see how they work on a test drive..

For example:

"S7KZ BMW i interior design Suite" pretty sure this means leather
"S609 Navigation system Professional" this means big navigation screen?
"S544 Cruise control with brake function" not on very many models

Also, CA stickers for HOV lane. Many do not have them but the 2017 should have red ones to allow use up to 2022... is this a big deal or can you just get stickers mailed for free once you buy?

Thanks for reading!

Once you boil it all down and roll the options into packages, these are the available 2017 options as I recall them (pulling from m decoder), as they apply to the US market. Suddenly it's much less intimidating.

Type I3 94 (USA)
(check battery capacity, supposedly some 2017 models had the original 60Ah battery, though I haven't come across one -- would read say "I3 (USA)" without a 60))

Upholstery NATURLED.KO.STELLARICDALBERGIABRAU (NLFT)
(Confirmation of the leather you mentioned, but you also said specifically gray interior; the leather is dark brown
NHFC = wool & leather, BKCI = gray cloth & artificial leather, BHGI = gray/black cloth)

P5DUA Parking Assistant Package
(On 2017 this includes parking sensors, reverse camera, auto parking. Look for the P button with green LED next to the iDrive selector wheel, center console.)

S403A Glass Roof Electrical
(Sunroof)

S4T9A Heat Pump
(BEV models only, I don't believe it was optional in the US, all 2017 BEVs should have it)

S609A Navigation System Professional
(Wide screen, but on US models this also means technology package, and automatic cruise. Look for the green lighted circle under the hazard switch, center of dash.)

S674A HiFi System Harman Kardon
(Look for speaker grilles low on the on A pillar)

S2G5A 19BMW I LM RAEDTURBINENST428MB
(Wheel option -- see images below)

S322A Comfort Access
(Keyless entry, I recall only included in Terra and Giga -- I shouldn't actually include this because once you pick a suite, this is either included or it's not)

BMW-i3-wheels.jpg

As for the decals the CA website still lists the 2017 REX as eligible, FWIW. https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/eligible-carpool-sticker-list

I wish you luck. Here in Illinois I don't believe I had the stack of options you have ( in terms of supply of vehicles) I drove a couple of i3's and settled on one quickly as two of the models I wanted sold before I even got to try them.

I really like mine so far. Winter is pretty difficult on the battery life. I believe it cuts it by a third, but I'm finding ways to mitigate that a bit.

Doug - out

BTW What does BEV stand for?

Great info by eNate.

Another thing to make searching easier. If you want full leather, look for "Tera World" vehicles. For partial leather, "Giga World". Cars.com and Autotrader allow you to enter keywords in their advanced search.

The CAV decals are easy to get and cost $20.

Good Luck!

Thank you all for the replies! Nate, that is incredibly helpful. Brown leather is fine by me; I only wanted gray as the outside color. Doug, I am finding the same thing here now... a few I had been looking at are now gone and I definitely won't be able to get everything I want. The vast majority of the ~150 or so models near me are basic models.

EDIT:
If anyone would be willing to take a quick look at two models and let me know what you think please PM me

graememwl said:
......The CAV decals are easy to get and cost $20....

Are you discounted 'cuz you're NorCal? :p I just got mine yesterday and I paid $22.

OP - I just got my CPO '17 during the 2nd week of this year. I was afforded the orange ones, which expire 2024.

Back