Finally test drove an i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeptic

After months of being a member here, doing research, and honestly waiting until my home remodel project is finished I finally decided to at least test drive an i3. My kitchen/family room remodel is not done, but my daily driver is not being reliable and i3 prices have been dropping like a rock. First time I've ever sat in one actually. The dash seems a bit low compared to the sitting height, and is huge.... I didn't get in the back because I don't care, it's big enough for my dog. My wife was completely unimpressed with the Dekka interior calling it stark and a bit sterile, but surprisingly she disliked the Mega interior of another i3 we looked over even more. My impression, it seems a bit bland if I'm honest. The base stereo is crap.. I'd say the interior looks a bit better in photos than in person, and I still think they are ugly on the outside. On the plus side, I did like how it drove, both in town and on the highway. It's also the only EV that ticks all my requirements: rwd or awd, 200+ mile range or 70+ miles and range extender

Ultimately it pretty much confirmed what I expected. I'm going to stick with a 2017 REX CPO as the prices for them are within my cheap-ass budget, a bit of factory warranty left + 1 year cpo, and the 94ah battery. Working a deal for one coming off lease. 2017 REX, CPO, 18,500 miles, tech package, parking assist, HK stereo, 19" wheels (I do not want the 20" wheels), black w/Dekka interior.

You're in for a screaming deal. This seems like a great time to be buying.

All I'd say is take your time and proceed carefully. There's always be a better deal / better color / better interior / lower mileage that shows up the day after you sign the papers.

Time is on your side so see if you can find a few that tick the boxes and let the dealers compete for your business.

I searched CarGurus.com, Carvana and BMW's site for anything. The number of i3 REXs w/Tech package, Parking package and HK stereo is surprisingly low, at least what's out there for sale right now and what I've seen the last few months. I will not claim to have gotten a screaming deal, but within 100 miles (including places willing to ship) I could only find 2 other i3s that met my requirements. One a CPO with almost double the miles for $400 less, and the other from Carvana, slightly more miles, basically the same price, not CPO. Both of these also have 20" wheels which I'd immediately swap to 19s.

I went ahead and agreed to the deal, paid my $500 deposit, and now I get to wait a couple weeks for it to be delivered, reconditioned etc. The way prices are dropping I wouldn't be surprised if by the time it shows up the deal is so-so, and a couple months from now it sounds like a rip-off. Meh, if you wait for prices to bottom out you'll never buy anything.

Back