alternative to kenai

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCactuary

I am considering ordering a 2021 i3, and am confused about the dashboard material. I understand the kenai is environmentally friendly and lightweight, but it looks terrible.
There are optional interior packages, but I can't tell if they all use the same kenai on the dashboard. Do these packages use a vinyl covering or something similar?
Are 2020 owners satisfied with their interior choices?
Thanks
NCactuary

I think the kenai is drop-dead beautiful and I show it proudly to everyone. It is far better than the wanna-be leather-look plastics in most cars and will outlive any real leather in our Texas sun.

I am on my 2nd i3, and I love the KENAF (you can google it, as it is a remarkable material). When I first saw the i3 in 2014, I was honestly shocked and horrified with the Kenaf interior.

Now, I appreciate, respect and love it. 2014 to 2020 (and soon 2021 models) all have KENAF. If you option and pay for the Vernasca truffle leather (which I got in my new 2020 i3S), there is leather on part of the dash, and this might soften the look of the kenaf for you.

Honestly... the kenaf, olive tanned leather and wood look amazing in the i3. I have received nothing but compliments.

We should be proud and happy BMW uses such a remarkable and sustainable material like kenaf. They really should use it in all their cars.

The only problem that I have with the kenaf dashboard is its reflection in the windshield when the sun shines through the windshield onto the kenaf when I'm driving into a shady area ahead. The reflection in the windshield makes it very difficult to see clearly what's ahead. I have considered covering the kenaf with something black but haven't done so in 6 years, so I guess I don't consider this problem to be too serious.

Back