New joiner / on the verge of closing - a few ??

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMoneyPenny

THANKS to all.
Just wanted to say hello, A New Yorker living in Hong Kong, looking to purchase an i3.
Have greatly benefited from this forum.
I am looking at a BMW dealer offered used i3, which does have a history of a rear fender bender, but the repair history (ALL BY BMW Dealership) is extensive.
- full rear bumper replacement, including camera, etc.

While everything checks out visually, I have even inspected the rear suspension components, and other than the suspension plastioc boot having a few tears - all looks great.

Would greatly appreciate if anyone have any oother points I should cover in the pre-purshase phase.

Cheers
from HONG KONG

THere is a procedure to replace broken/crushed CFRP parts of the frame and it requires making a cut at a designated point, and bonding in new replacement section. If the accident didn't get that severe, the frame may not have needed anything.

I'd want to know if they performed a 4-wheel alignment and I certainly would not accept it without them replacing the torn rubber boots. Without them being intact, you will experience degradation of the shocks from the grit and moisture that can get in there.

I'd also want to verify that the motor mount was not cracked. If that were to fail while driving, it can cause some fairly significant damages to the rest of the drivetrain.

It would depend to me how reliable the dealership was, and what kind of warranty they may provide.

very helpful!

3 years warranty on the battery and 1 month on the car is what is being offered.

Only the rear shocks rubber boots are 'slipping' down, I can see the rod inside the spring.

The records do indicate wheel alignment.

No REx. BEV ONLY.

I think I am going to take the plunge. The rest of the car (2015) with only 44,xxx KM looks BRAND NEW.

Eveen the brake calipers, pads, seats, headliner, etc.

For the discounted price, appears the previous owner returned car after lease and upgraded to something bigger, I am game!

Wish me luck!!!

The earlier i3's came with a plastic motor mount for the electric motor. In the USA, they had a recall to replace the mounting bolts with stronger ones. Newer ones were redesigned and are metal. They updated the software to better detect if a wheel became unloaded after hitting a bump. With the electric motor, the instant torque could have the wheel turning faster while off the ground and then there could be a significant stress on the motor mount when it immediately slowed down once it regained contact and traction with the wheel. In addition to replacing the bolts with stronger ones, they also made a software change to help detect this, and lower the power level to the motor for a moment to help prevent that shock. I do not know how this issue was addressed, if at all, outside of the USA, but it likely does affect vehicles sold all over the world. You should be able to get a service record to see if there are any open recalls or service campaigns on the vehicle. I'd want any open ones to be fixed before I bought it.

Briliant advice.
Looking through the service records...all at BMW...approx. 8 pages long, very detailed.
I do see the recall items / bolts / mounts replacement on the record, done in 2019.
Have requested a full check and certification again at the dealer, prior to taking delivery, which they have committed to do, including diagnostics.
I understand that this will also cover any other issues to be fixed now and also within the 1-month post delivery (BMW certified used car) warranty.
Here goes a new adventure into BEV territory.
Cheers

MrMoneyPenny –

Welcome to the forum!

If there's no damage to the CF frame then there's not much to worry about. Having gone through a similar fender-bender, just make sure that the folks that do the repair also calibrate your new rear-view camera and PDC sensors.

Wishing you well in HK – what a wonderful city to be subjected to such recent changes...

Much obliged and a great point.

Yes I particularly spent time ensuring that the rear view camera, sensors were properly functioning during reverse in

We ❤️ Hong Kong!!!

Back