ozan1989
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:54 pm

bmw i3 important question

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:58 pm

I travel 25 thousand km every year. Do you think it makes sense to buy the bmw i3?

agzand
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:00 pm

Re: bmw i3 important question

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:58 pm

Should be ok, saving on gas makes sense.

redandgearhead
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:44 pm

Re: bmw i3 important question

Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:27 am

The key fact is can you complete a trip without having to recharge? Is you daily commute less than 70 to 80 miles? Or if you use public transportation to go to work, are most of your drives in a car less than 70 to 80 miles to your destinations and back home? Having to stop to recharge every time you go out would be a drag.

Fordychap
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:58 am

Re: bmw i3 important question

Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:25 am

ozan1989 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:58 pm
I travel 25 thousand km every year. Do you think it makes sense to buy the bmw i3?
I do about 16,000 miles a year in a i3 BEV (120Ah) which is roughly equivalent to you.
It’s more the mix of the journey types you do and where - that is the key.
What type of road, likely average speed, how hilly, and are there chargers available on the way?
Zap-Map and ABRP apps can help you plan an unfamiliar route.
Over 80% of my daily mileage is under half of the range of the i3. Depending upon season, in winter that full range is 145 mi and in summer - closer to 190 mi. That is mixed driving on mostly B and A class UK roads with a few blasts along highway/motorways.
You will see then that it is rare that I charge anywhere other than at home (32A, 240v, 7.4kW single phase - with a 40A RCB).

If I do, it’s usually due to a trip that’s say a 250-300 mile round trip in a day. It’s rare these days for me to do more than that in a day without staying overnight, and then even a “granny charger” (13A domestic socket) will do at a pinch. Overnights in rural areas - I always take a 20m extension cable reel (unwind it fully!!) and then I can ALWAYS get some kind of charge.

If I do have to take a quick charge - it’s preferably on a 50kW CCS rapid charger to just give me a slight top up while I grab a coffee. Takes about 15 min to get 50-60 miles. I only take what charge I need to get home with say 10-20 miles reserve.
I always carry the “granny” charger and a 7.4kw single phase Type 2 cable with me in a waterproof bag in the frunk.
I haven’t bothered to buy a three-phase 11kW/22kW Type 2 cable because the i3 internal electronics will only do 11kW anyway. The difference between 7.4kW and 11kW when out and about is relatively small, and I’d rather spend 20 minutes finding a 50kW CCS DC charger to use for 30 mins...
Doing that has also introduced me to some new places off the normal routes that may have other nice things - like shops or cafes...
So in short, unless your mileage is predominantly highway and always over half the range of the i3 (unless you have workplace charging) - then the i3 is a great car to consider and a hoot to drive.
Lots of astonished ICE car drivers when you leave them standing at the lights....
It’s a “silly grin” type car - and mine is a keeper....
BMW i3 BEV - 120Ah, Range Rover Vogue SE - SDV8 4.4 litre Tier 6 diesel, Various tractors...
40kW Solar PV and 100kWh Vanadium Redox Flow Battery for "All Electric" Property - exporting energy to the grid...

Deutsch100
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:28 pm

Re: bmw i3 important question

Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:03 am

Fordychap wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:25 am
ozan1989 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:58 pm
I travel 25 thousand km every year. Do you think it makes sense to buy the bmw i3?
I do about 16,000 miles a year in a i3 BEV (120Ah) which is roughly equivalent to you.
It’s more the mix of the journey types you do and where - that is the key.
What type of road, likely average speed, how hilly, and are there chargers available on the way?
Zap-Map and ABRP apps can help you plan an unfamiliar route.
Over 80% of my daily mileage is under half of the range of the i3. Depending upon season, in winter that full range is 145 mi and in summer - closer to 190 mi. That is mixed driving on mostly B and A class UK roads with a few blasts along highway/motorways.
You will see then that it is rare that I charge anywhere other than at home (32A, 240v, 7.4kW single phase - with a 40A RCB).

If I do, it’s usually due to a trip that’s say a 250-300 mile round trip in a day. It’s rare these days for me to do more than that in a day without staying overnight, and then even a “granny charger” (13A domestic socket) will do at a pinch. Overnights in rural areas - I always take a 20m extension cable reel (unwind it fully!!) and then I can ALWAYS get some kind of charge.

If I do have to take a quick charge - it’s preferably on a 50kW CCS rapid charger to just give me a slight top up while I grab a coffee. Takes about 15 min to get 50-60 miles. I only take what charge I need to get home with say 10-20 miles reserve.
I always carry the “granny” charger and a 7.4kw single phase Type 2 cable with me in a waterproof bag in the frunk.
I haven’t bothered to buy a three-phase 11kW/22kW Type 2 cable because the i3 internal electronics will only do 11kW anyway. The difference between 7.4kW and 11kW when out and about is relatively small, and I’d rather spend 20 minutes finding a 50kW CCS DC charger to use for 30 mins...
Doing that has also introduced me to some new places off the normal routes that may have other nice things - like shops or cafes...
So in short, unless your mileage is predominantly highway and always over half the range of the i3 (unless you have workplace charging) - then the i3 is a great car to consider and a hoot to drive.
Lots of astonished ICE car drivers when you leave them standing at the lights....
It’s a “silly grin” type car - and mine is a keeper....
I just do NOT see you can get 145 miles of range in winter and 190 miles in summer. The i3 with the biggest battery....BMW says UP TO 153 miles!!

In warm weather, I am lucky if I get 140-150 miles. And even at 60F or below....my range is usually 100-120 miles. I drive 90% in EcoPro too. I currently have a 2020 i3S and my last BMW was a 2019 i3S. I mean....these ranges seem impossible; I am in Southern California as well! So. Cal might be the most ideal place in the world for an EV. 190 miles of range in the summer?! If this was possible, BMW would not say up to 153 miles.
2020 i3S Rex; Capparis White

eNate
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Re: bmw i3 important question

Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:20 am

I've managed 135 miles in my 94Ah BEV in the SF Bay area, mostly freeway speeds, up and over the Altamont and Dublin grades in both directions. So extrapolating to a 120Ah battery, that would pencil out to 202 miles.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

eXodus
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:06 am

Re: bmw i3 important question

Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:38 pm

BMW claims up to 114miles with the 94ah model -

I excide that every week. Usually I charge around 120-130 miles. With about 10-15 miles left.

Would say 60% at 70mph - my average speed at the Odo is 40mph and my energy states 4miles/kwh.

If you do some fancy math - 120 miles / 4 miles/kwh = 30kwh (matches my kappa at around 29.6)

Would you upgrade to the larger battery with about 42kwh * 4 miles/kwh = 168 miles range for the new one.

Fordychap
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:58 am

Re: bmw i3 important question

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:03 am

Deutsch100 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:03 am
Fordychap wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:25 am
ozan1989 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:58 pm
I travel 25 thousand km every year. Do you think it makes sense to buy the bmw i3?
I just do NOT see you can get 145 miles of range in winter and 190 miles in summer. The i3 with the biggest battery....BMW says UP TO 153 miles!!

In warm weather, I am lucky if I get 140-150 miles. And even at 60F or below....my range is usually 100-120 miles. I drive 90% in EcoPro too. I currently have a 2020 i3S and my last BMW was a 2019 i3S. I mean....these ranges seem impossible; I am in Southern California as well! So. Cal might be the most ideal place in the world for an EV. 190 miles of range in the summer?! If this was possible, BMW would not say up to 153 miles.
Well, all I can do is tell you my real world experience. I don’t know how you drive, the variety of terrain, not how many stop/starts you have to make.
For us the regen really works, and I rarely use the brakes. The i3 is usually driven in EcoPro mode (not EcoPro+) because I prefer the throttle response in that mode and I can’t really tell any other difference from Comfort mode - other than range. Our temperature rarely drops below -5°C in winter and rarely above 24°C in summer that helps a lot I think.
Today, I have just preconditioned the car (as always) before my journey out (only a 24 mile round trip) and after a load of similar mixed short journeys this week the BMW “guessometer” reads an available range today of 178 miles. The weather is maxing out at about 7°C today. I find the “guessometer” pretty accurate so that’s what I’d expect to get.
I’d risk a 160-170 mile round trip with that - there are rapid chargers not far from home too if it gets a bit squeaky.
So either you have a very heavy right foot, the type of traffic and terrain isn’t as conducive to range as it is here in the wet NW of England - or something is wrong if your 120Ah i3 struggles to get 150 miles...

Image
BMW i3 BEV - 120Ah, Range Rover Vogue SE - SDV8 4.4 litre Tier 6 diesel, Various tractors...
40kW Solar PV and 100kWh Vanadium Redox Flow Battery for "All Electric" Property - exporting energy to the grid...

Fordychap
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:58 am

Re: bmw i3 important question

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:29 am

eNate wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:20 am
I've managed 135 miles in my 94Ah BEV in the SF Bay area, mostly freeway speeds, up and over the Altamont and Dublin grades in both directions. So extrapolating to a 120Ah battery, that would pencil out to 202 miles.
Sadly, I have never yet cracked the 200 miles on a charge. The closest, (and it was a bit too close for comfort) was rolling into home with “2 miles” to spare and a trip distance of 194 miles after a diversion due to an accident that closed a road.
That was just after I got the car - and it was probably 10°-15°C.
I find external temperature is by far the biggest factor that affects range - other than how hard you accelerate.
That said, even today, I’d be confident on going out and doing 160-170 miles - and it’s not warm.
My battery Kapa max reads: 39.1kWh and 7.1°C.

(Edit update: I have just checked our [2 drivers] average mi/kWh and it’s 4.67mi/kWh. In December/January it was around 4.1mi/kWh.)
BMW i3 BEV - 120Ah, Range Rover Vogue SE - SDV8 4.4 litre Tier 6 diesel, Various tractors...
40kW Solar PV and 100kWh Vanadium Redox Flow Battery for "All Electric" Property - exporting energy to the grid...

Deutsch100
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:28 pm

Re: bmw i3 important question

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:39 am

@Fordychap....your car is amazing. I am on i3S number two with the 120Ah battery, and a full charge almost never even shows 153 miles. The BMWUSA website shows up to 153 miles on a charge. Our weather here in Southern California is nirvana for an EV. I never hard accelerate and I use regen brakes for all stops (I almost never even touch my brakes). I guess I have had two "bad" i3s then :( I drive most of the time in EcoPro, but if the weather is cool and I do not need A/C, I will use EcoPro+.
2020 i3S Rex; Capparis White

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”