What should I ask for my 2018 BMW i3 w/ REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smaster553

I got a White, excellent condition, new tires, BMW i3 w/ REX with 28,000 miles.

It has 10 months of Original Warranty left and transferable CPO warranty of 12 months, so a total of 22 months left.

Gives great service, I get 135-140 miles in ECOPRO mode, and 90 miles in REX.

What should I ask to sell as a Private Party? and what is the best medium to sell - online as this has a niche customer base

Edited

2018 BMW i3 /rex
Tech+ Driving Assist Package
Giga 19" Wheels
Park Distance Control
Apple Car Play
White / with Blue Trim
Weather Tech Mats + Trunk Liner

Need more info. Location? Trim level? Wheel size/style. Options? HK? Large Nav? Apple Carplay?

For a quick sale, Carvana has been offering pretty good $$$.

MKH said:
Need more info. Location? Trim level? Wheel size/style. Options? HK? Large Nav? Apple Carplay?

For a quick sale, Carvana has been offering pretty good $$$.

Sorry edited by Original Post. All info also given below.

2018 BMW i3 /rex
Tech+ Driving Assist Package
Giga 19" Wheels
Park Distance Control
Apple Car Play
White / with Blue Trim
Weather Tech Mats + Trunk Liner

Blue book shows similarly equipped/mileage i3 recent private party sales in NY Metro area - $18,400 to $21, 200.

MKH said:
Blue book shows similarly equipped/mileage i3 recent private party sales in NY Metro area - $18,400 to $21, 200.

Yeah I saw that but that does not include options etc.

I got a CarMax quote for 22,600, so Private Party should sell above that easily.

I got a CarMax quote for 22,600, so Private Party should sell above that easily.

Unless their markup has changed in the last few years or because of the current chip-shortage driven market, shortages, a former CarMax employee said that the average markup they put on a vehicle they buy to resell and not wholesale or auction out is about $4K. Maybe use that as a guide to what dealer retail might be, and shoot for in-between the CarMax offer, and retail??

MKH said:

Unless their markup has changed in the last few years or because of the current chip-shortage driven market, shortages, a former CarMax employee said that the average markup they put on a vehicle they buy to resell and not wholesale or auction out is about $4K. Maybe use that as a guide to what dealer retail might be, and shoot for in-between the CarMax offer, and retail??

Is that markup same for a 20K car and a 40K or is it percentage based. I thought usually 5% markup is what wholesalers do unless they are certifying the car with a warranty. Any info would help.

I imagine it's a bit of a sliding scale. The former CarMax guy I talked to was quoting an average $4K 'markup' in the $20K - $30K range that they sold the bulk of their cars at. According to him, actual profit after reconditioning and selling expenses ran around half, $2K . CarMax's quarterly report at the time showed their net profit averaging $2K per unit sold.

~$4k markup also seems in line with my recent Carvana experience - I sold my 2014 REX to them and they listed it for ~$3.8k more than they gave me. So look for similar cars on their site and subtract the markup.

rtanov said:
~$4k markup also seems in line with my recent Carvana experience - I sold my 2014 REX to them and they listed it for ~$3.8k more than they gave me. So look for similar cars on their site and subtract the markup.

Thanks a ton

Back