Definitive Answer If CarPlay can be Dealer Installed Please?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyking6976

The search continues and I’ve found an ‘18 CPO with one owner BUT no CarPlay. Was dealing with a very nice saleswoman and this AM I got one of those NYC attitude guys who was asked to call. Heck he could be stealing the sale for all I know. Anyway, I’m sitting here looking at the VIN printout with all the specs with codes and this sales guy is telling me it has CarPlay. I said if it does it was done by the dealer because there is no CarPlay on the VIN printout and he tells me essentially I’m a moron…it can’t be dealer installed and certainly not for $300 or whatever. I’m about ready to walk on this one over CarPlay and the guy being a jerk.

Okay…the sales guy calls back and says yes it can be “installed”. He said it’s just a software thing and wouldn’t take very long. Funny because there is nothing on the spec sheet saying “CarPlay compatible” or the like. I even logged on to BMW owners and temporarily put this and another one in “my garage”. One says Apple CarPlay compatible or something like that under “options”. THIS car does not have that CarPlay listed. So what does that mean? There is hardware that has to be installed? The sales guy said the car was good for CarPlay because it has the Technology package???

Are you a specifically looking for "factory" or is aftermarket acceptable?

I'm certain I've seen photos or a video of a factory retrofit, but I just did a quick search from my phone and didn't locate it. It involved swapping out the factory head unit under that back seat with the proper BMW part.

But there are aftermarket options available from Bimmertech and Road Top. My understanding of these is that they run in parallel with the factory unit, ie a second box. The factory display cable runs through the aftermarket box, and one of the buttons on the iDrive controller acts as a toggle to switch between factory and aftermarket.

There are plenty of aftermarket install videos on YouTube, but I've yet to see one of the system in operation switching between the two. For instance, can I select a radio station without switching back to stock? What if the car displays a warning message?

Native BMW Car Play runs in a window so all other functions remain viewable / accessible. On the other hand, aftermarket gives you the full screen experience.

I've been on the fence. I don't relish having to switch between two OS's. I have that on another car I own and it's frustrating, mainly because my radio and climate controls are buried in the native touchscreen interface, and I have to exit out of Android Auto to access them. This might not be an issue with the i3's physical climate buttons and presets, but I'm not sure.

Nope…that’s not acceptable for me Nate. What’s amazing and sad really, I bought an ‘06 330i from a neighbor who’s actually a BMW marketing guy and this car has an amazing aftermarket head that looks factory. I’ve got all kinds of apps on a beautiful screeen that works seamlessly.

I have a feeling this can’t be retrofit from a practical standpoint and I must’ve misunderstood what the “dealer install” $300 really is. It’s just software. I know one I’m looking at that’s not CPO but only 11K miles, that’s loaded has the “CarPlay compatible”. I gather even with this one I’d have to pay the $300 to activate. If the prior owner activated does that mean I have to once again pay the $300?

If I come across the install of the factory unit, I'll shate the link here.

Weren't they initially charging a subscription fee for Car Play, but then recently changed to free/included? I've only half paid attention as I'm not an iPhone user.

Yeah…I’ll be curious what the ole boy comes back with after the holiday and he talks to service. Doesn’t sound like a $300 deal like I’d read about. The other one I’ve been comparing it to is a loaded ‘18 REX… all the way down to those 20’ stylish wheels with less than half the miles ( 11K)…but not CPO, minor accident (no airbag deployment) asking roughly the same price.

Plus I keep hearing about how lousy the sound is minus the HK which the CPO does not have.

Never mind. After 47 days on the lot, I called today to work a deal on the non-CPO that’s loaded. The kid asked if I was the one in a few weeks ago who offered 25 OTD. I said yeah I know…next one calls is the loser but I want the car so here I am. He says sorry it was sold today. Somehow I almost don’t believe him and will check their website tomorrow.

Doesn’t matter now because the sales guy sends me the “Retail Order” this afternoon to sign, PDF and send back. Within 5 minutes the guy emails me again saying there’s now a deposit on the car…sorry.

On all three calls prior the guy asked if I’d already filled out the credit app. I kept telling the guy I’m making it easy on him…I’ll overnight you a check, wire you the money, give the F & I guy my account and routing numbers. The last call the salesman says he’ll email the sheet…and asked how much am I putting down. I say seriously? Yes… I’ve told you every time we’ve talked I’m making it easy on you. No worries about running my credit, all the loan paperwork…nothing. I hand you a check, you hand me the paperwork and FOBS.

I have a call in to a friend of a friend at the local dealer. I spoke with him a couple weeks ago about the sweet $299 lease deal. He didn’t have any and said the one I was looking at would NOT be leased for the price advertised. $299 price? More like low 400’s he says. I may just say screw it and get a new one on a descent lease if I can get the Giga interior and Tech package. Anything else is gravy I suppose.

Back