Which Battery model is 28.3 kwh?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LePeche

Hey am looking at a 2016 BMW i3 (first registered in Japan and imported to NZ) ... I thought these 2016 models were the smaller 60Ah battery (which I think is 18.8kWh usable capacity or 21.6kWh full capacity?) and not the 94Ah battery (which I think is 28.71kWh usable capacity or 33kWh full capacity?)?

However the dealer is saying the Batt.Kapa.max/ Batt.Ladung (he shared screenshots) is 28.3 kWh, which sounds more like the 94Ah -- I am assuming the 28.3 is usable, which means a SOH of 98%? The car has done ~46,000 kms.

So based on the above this sounds like the 94Ah model with pretty much zero degradation? Either that or I don't have a clue and need more help than I am actually seeking :D

I understand that the i3 BMS doesn't report the State of Health (SoH) but you can use Batt.Kapa.max/ original kWh capacity to derive? As I did above.

Guidance appreciated.

Will carry on reading the forum for others experience and guidance.

Cheers

So using the registration plate and lookup website I have found the car VIN, which starts with WBY1Z82 ...

Apparently, the Type 1Z82 = Model I3 94rex - EUR

It points towards this being a 94aH model. So 2017 model, which was released some time late 2016.

Sound right? Is there any other way of identifying which model it is?

*** I can't view the car and the dealer doesn't seem to know much about EVs ... more a petrol head.

Tx

It is the 33kWh/94ah battery
My 2017 reads 29.4 with 22K miles.
I’m fairly certain it would have read closer to 29.9 or 30.0 when new and BMW just derated the useable capacity in their advertising for warranty reasons.

They started building the 2017 models in mid 2016.
It is possible that Japanese market requires “build year” as the “model year”

Also you can tell the battery type by the weight of the car on the door label. Don’t have the chart handy but 60,90,and 120ah cars have 2 different weights depending on if REX or BEV and none of the weights overlap.

My 2017 model year / 94Ah was built on Slurpee day (7/11) 2016.

https://insideevs.com/news/328975/2017-bmw-i3-to-enter-production-this-july-epa-range-of-125-miles-expected/

Back