Wholesale prices

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt1

I checked the wholesale i3 prices on dealers auctions. Turned out, there have been only 20 or so sales in the past several months- not enough to come to any conclusion. Many auctions don't even mention the trim level.
Prices for 2014 i3 ranged from $22900 to $39500.

I just had my car appraised at CarMax. I did it because I live in a state that charges property tax on vehicles. They assessed my car @$37K and I complained that it was too high. The tax assessor said that if I take it to CarMax and bring back the written appraisal they will accept that as "wholesale" value and add $3,000 to the appraisal to bring my car to "retail" price - which is the basis of the tax value.

My car is a 2014 i3ReX, Andesite Silver, HK Stereo, Park Assist, Giga World, car mats, Technology package, DC Fast Charger, 6600 miles. CarMax appraised it at $26,000. The sticker was $53,750. That's quite a hit. Luckily I'm leasing. The lease ends in February 2017. Not sure what the car will be worth then, but given the current value it appears as if it will wholesale under $20K at the end of the lease.

That's an interesting price point. I wonder what BMW will do with 2 year old loaded i3 cars, likely with less than 20K miles competing with 2015/2016 cars (likely many leftovers) and a 2017 model that gets better range than the original cars.

At the right price I'd be interested, but will be more competitive with the Bolt/Tesla 3 and other choices.

This price seems about right, considering prices for the off lease Nissan LEAFs.
There is a lady selling an i3 on craigslist asking for $39000 :eek:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5269912199.html
I'm afraid she is up for a rude awakening. Unless she'll manage to get some fool to bite, even $30k is not realistic.

lencap said:
I just had my car appraised at CarMax. I did it because I live in a state that charges property tax on vehicles. They assessed my car @$37K and I complained that it was too high. The tax assessor said that if I take it to CarMax and bring back the written appraisal they will accept that as "wholesale" value and add $3,000 to the appraisal to bring my car to "retail" price - which is the basis of the tax value.

My car is a 2014 i3ReX, Andesite Silver, HK Stereo, Park Assist, Giga World, car mats, Technology package, DC Fast Charger, 6600 miles. CarMax appraised it at $26,000. The sticker was $53,750. That's quite a hit. Luckily I'm leasing. The lease ends in February 2017. Not sure what the car will be worth then, but given the current value it appears as if it will wholesale under $20K at the end of the lease.

That's an interesting price point. I wonder what BMW will do with 2 year old loaded i3 cars, likely with less than 20K miles competing with 2015/2016 cars (likely many leftovers) and a 2017 model that gets better range than the original cars.

At the right price I'd be interested, but will be more competitive with the Bolt/Tesla 3 and other choices.

Well, on thing to consider about the value of EVs is that every single one of them is instantly worth at least $7500 less the second you drive it off the lot.

lencap said:

I'm just curious. Does your state charge property tax on the full value of a leased vehicle? Isn't that like paying property tax on the full value of a leased property?

As another data point, my 2014 i3 REx, with a sticker about what yours but 20,000 miles, was was totaled when a tree fell on it and the insurance company gave me $31k and I talked them up to $33k. I was shocked and appalled at how much it had depreciated in 13 months. I, for one, would love to know what BMW is going to do with all these super-depreciated cars coming in off of leases ... the first ones (with two-year leases) should be coming back in in just a few months.

Back