killban

Ordering this week - Question about Comfort Access

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:20 am

Hi all,

I am about to put in an order for a 17MY REx.

I have the following options already sorted:-

Protonic Blue - Metallic Paint
Park Assist Pack
Driving Assistant Plus
Pro Media
i3 Sports Package

However, I was wondering about the Comfort Access package. Can anyone who has it recommend it, or conversely anyone who has it who thinks it is not worth the outlay?

Cheers!

electricvirgin

Re: Ordering this week - Question about Comfort Access

Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:56 am

I have had my i3 nearly 2 years and am glad i chose comfort access.

It means the doors will always open when you touch the handle and the boot(trunk?) is the same. You just touch the door handle to lock.

It works well and becomes second nature, to the extent that i approach my other car (which lacks the feature!) expecting it to open.

I have heard there are some concerns with security though?

timf

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:21 am

I would not order a car without this feature. When my i3 was in for service last month they gave me a loaner that didn't have it, and it was incredibly annoying having to reach for the key fob every time I wanted to unlock or lock the car.

joey003

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:51 am

I've had this type of feature on my car for close to 6 years now, and can't imagine driving a car without. Definitely nice to have I'd say.

jadnashuanh

Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:26 pm

At least in the USA, it appears that they made comfort access a standard feature for 2017...verify with the dealer.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

killban

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:23 am

jadnashuanh wrote:At least in the USA, it appears that they made comfort access a standard feature for 2017...verify with the dealer.
I have got a quotation from the dealer, and Comfort Access is a £330 option in the UK.

Gif

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:09 am

I couldn't find the justification for the money being asked. My 4x4 has it but as you've still got to lock the car (which is 50% of the time), I find I've always got the key in a handy location to be blipping anyway. I just prefer to know where my key is.

The one big advantage I've found from comfort access is a power tailgate that you can trigger with your foot. It's God sent when you're carrying an awkward load in the pouring rain. But that's only because large vehicles can take large loads.

I'm not going to be carrying a washing machine to put in the boot of the i3 so why would the tailgate being unlocked (remember you still have to lift it open on the i3) be of any use?

Call me old fashioned but I just don't see it personally.

Brice

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Gif wrote:I couldn't find the justification for the money being asked. My 4x4 has it but as you've still got to lock the car (which is 50% of the time), I find I've always got the key in a handy location to be blipping anyway. I just prefer to know where my key is.
I thought that the car (i3) was auto-locking when you went far away for a couple of secondes. Isn't the case ?

FYI: I didn't pick the feature because I had to make choices at the end (money, money, money...) but I think I would have picked it. must be really handy everyday.
Follow my connected adventure on mabmwi3.com: Ma BMW i3 Blog (French) !

Schnort

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:41 pm

I thought that the car (i3) was auto-locking when you went far away for a couple of secondes. Isn't the case ?
Mine doesn't, but I have the base-est model out there.

brorob

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:04 pm

Schnort wrote:
Mine doesn't, but I have the base-est model out there.
I have Comfort Access with Giga trim and my car doesn't automatically lock like this.

I believe another feature with Comfort Access (if someone can verify) is the illuminated outside door handles. The illuminated handles also light the ground (somewhat) near the door. Another few things to consider.

I thought someone mentioned in an earlier forum that the cool blue interior lighting, when unlocking the door, was part of the Comfort Access package. Not sure if that is true or was confirmed.

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”