Audio Dilemma

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzby

I like good audio, and the demo i3 loaner with standard audio was competent, if a little uninspiring. Explaining I wasn't going to pay extra for the HK upgrade unless I'd a chance to run a stereo test CD through the system, the dealer obliged, and I just came back this afternoon after 15 minutes of testing, using audio sweeps from 30-26kHz, along with some of my (known) audio favourites. Better, yet, I could run the test on both i3's, the standard, and HK versions.

As expected, the audio was more natural and full-bodied on the HK, with crystal stereo definition giving an excellent spatial sound whether in the front or rear seats. Standard audio was reasonable in the front, but below par in the rear. Surprisingly, both cars appeared to output the same wattage when turned up full, but it wasn't enjoyable to listen to in the standard set up, I had expected the HK to offer a more vibrant experience, and I wasn't disappointed, but it proved that if you enjoy quality audio, the HK delivers it, with the bass boost able to knock your socks off - the standard audio couldn't match this, and it showed.

That's good to know as we ordered the HK upgrade with our i3. Thanks for sharing.

Out of interest, which dealer did you use as I see you're also located in Scotland? I used the one in Giffnock, Glasgow.

craig1410 said:
Out of interest, which dealer did you use as I see you're also located in Scotland? I used the one in Giffnock, Glasgow.

The very one :D To be fair, the other one near Caledonian University also loaned a non-HK Rex!

I auditioned the HK system before I bought my i3 and liked what I heard.

To the OP that came equipped with test tones, very well played, sir!

Two prior cars I've owned have had HK systems and I didn't think much of them, having had well-built aftermarket systems in the past. With that, I can definitely say BMW & Harman did their homework on the i3.

Two years on with my BEV, I'm still impressed with the HK's sound. Sense of space is very good and the low end is hefty enough without too much monotone boom. TBH there's almost too much low end at the default setting. If you're a tweaker, you might want to store the Tone settings page as one of your eight presets.

I've had a chance to drive an i3 with the standard audio. It's competent for talk radio but if you remotely like your music, splurge on the HK, it's no slouch.

Back