Buying a 2014 BMW i3 BEV

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pb617

I have been looking for an i3 for a few weeks now and found one thats got the options i want. Its a 14' BEV Giga world, Tech and Parking pkg and also fast charging. It has 16k miles and they are asking $18k. Its in great shape drives fine, no issues or odd sounds from anywhere. The interior has a stain on the driver seat and too much armor all used to clean the interior, but i can easily fix that!

Tires are in good shape, but it does say service was due on 7/2017. This is for sale at a non bmw dealer and i was told it is still under the 4 year factory warranty but does this also include maintenance? Or is that only for the original buyer? Anything i should look for? What kind of service does a 16k mile i3 require?

Without going into the menus, it's hard to say what service is required. It may be as simple as a safety inspection. The only critical thing on any car that many people ignore, is flushing the brake fluid at 24-month intervals...note, this is from the date of manufacture, not the time of sale. Other than that, check the brake pads, maybe the cabin air filter, but there's not much more to check on a BEV.

What Jim said about maintenance.
I don't think the maintenance warranty is transferrable anymore. Call the service dept. of your local dealer and ask.
Stains on the seat are somewhat of a problem on i3's. See this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007129
You might use that to negotiate a lower price :) Good luck !

Thanks for the info guys! It was actually the safety inspection.

I looked into getting a used i3 vs leasing a new one. It made more sense to lease a new one then getting into an almost 4 year old i3 with less than a year warranty remaining. The prices of these used is attrative but in 24-36 months it will cost me a little more to lease a new one fully loaded, with a 50% larger battery and a full warranty. I'm sure in the next 24-36 months bmw will have a better ev out with double or triple the range and i will want the new one by then.

I have a 2017 i3 BEV, Fluid black, Terra world fully loaded on the way. It will be a long 2-3 week wait, but worth it! In the meantime i will look into having a level 2 charger installed.

Any chance you'd be willing to share lease details? I'm going through the exact same thought process (just posted on this here). Thanks.

Yes, if you'd please share your lease info, I have a guy working on lease/purchase numbers for me at Century West. It would be comforting to know what other people got.

Thanks,

Steve

Pb617 said:
Thanks for the info guys! It was actually the safety inspection.

I looked into getting a used i3 vs leasing a new one. It made more sense to lease a new one then getting into an almost 4 year old i3 with less than a year warranty remaining. The prices of these used is attrative but in 24-36 months it will cost me a little more to lease a new one fully loaded, with a 50% larger battery and a full warranty. I'm sure in the next 24-36 months bmw will have a better ev out with double or triple the range and i will want the new one by then.

I have a 2017 i3 BEV, Fluid black, Terra world fully loaded on the way. It will be a long 2-3 week wait, but worth it! In the meantime i will look into having a level 2 charger installed.

i'v been in france couple weeks ago, the price there for i3 its around 20 grans euro, so its kinda more then in USA!! that's too bad. i was thinking to get one myself. but because of health issues i need to spend money on them. this is why i search for coupons https://rxcoupons.org to get them cheaper. but anyway, hopefully i'm gonna own a i3 asap.

Jadam said:
Any chance you'd be willing to share lease details? I'm going through the exact same thought process (just posted on this here). Thanks.

Sure! 2017 94Ah BEV with every option, MSRP is $55,195. There is a $7500 EV incentive plus the dealer took another $2500 off the sticker price. 10k miles/36 months for $455.55 per month, with $2086 down. There is also another $2500 incentive in my state but that i have to submit for after i get the car.

Because i wanted a BEV only, there was only 1 available in the east coast and in fluid black, the color i wanted with a few less options but it was 7 states away and that dealer wouldn't give it up. I got lucky because a fluid black BEV was on its way to my dealer. BEV only i3's are hard to come by so i can't shop around because no one has any in stock. What are you guys getting for numbers??

Pb617 said:
Jadam said:
What are you guys getting for numbers??

I've spoken with two local dealers and depending on lease term (24 or 36 months) the residuals are 64 or 58%. The money factor is a whopping .00180 (4.32%) and the discount from Msrp has been around 8% (this is before any real negotiation). I will add that the discounts that were offered were limited specials on a few select cars on hand - otherwise the discounts were far less. Incentives offered are only federal 7500 credit.

So I think these numbers are similar to what you got. Problem is I've heard of people getting somewhere around 350 with no money down. It looks like a better money factor, higher residuals and a willingness to deal are not quite there at the moment.

Might be the timing - perhaps once the 2018s are available there will be more inventory to unload.

Thanks for sharing!

Back