Lesterbmwi3

Re: Anybody have an brake-related accident in an i3?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Human error eat it I 3 is on front of every car of braking distance with 50/50 weight distributions and remember if you using regen for braking your i3 have rusted rotors you have to hit them hard once a day to clean them to be clean and keep them to a task to stop a car. They going to last much longer anyway then average gasoline car .if you don't feel those brakes go to parking lot and test them with hard braking to see how they perform 50 yrs of driving experience I3 owner 2014 watch for cars behind you b/c they heavier and they don't stop as fast as your bmw i3 skinny tires got nothing to do with stoping distance

MikeS

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 am

I don’t think you need to ‘hit (the brakes) hard once a day’ as I understand that the i3 applies the brakes itself to keep the rotors rust free.
BMW 3 Series 2005 - Aug 2014
BMW Z4 35i 2009 - Mar 2014
BMW X1 Mar 14
BMW i3 Sep 14

Lesterbmwi3

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 am

Self braking technology is not at least on my 2014 model and I believe not in i3 series recently I drove 2018 5 &3 series they were not equipped with self braking

alohart

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:40 pm

MikeS wrote:I don’t think you need to ‘hit (the brakes) hard once a day’ as I understand that the i3 applies the brakes itself to keep the rotors rust free.
Our 2014 BEV has very rusty brake disks. I am not aware of any automatic application of the brakes to keep the disks rust-free. When I brake, it is very obvious because of the grinding sound, so I'm pretty certain that I would be aware of any automatic braking. If stainless steel is appropriate disk material, I wish BMW had chosen stainless steel.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

ASUN

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:42 pm

MikeS wrote:I don’t think you need to ‘hit (the brakes) hard once a day’ as I understand that the i3 applies the brakes itself to keep the rotors rust free.
I don't believe this is true.

Great if it is though.
- ASUN, 2016 BMW i3 BEV, Arravani Grey, Suite Interior, 20's, since Oct 25, 2015

I33t

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:20 pm

The brakes are automatically applied if the battery is 100% charged, the i3 is being driven and the accelerator is lifted (to slow the car). When the battery capacity is reduced, lifting the accelerator charges power into the battery without applying the brakes.
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

Lesterbmwi3

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:08 pm

The brakes on any of this models of I 3 are mechanical brakes to stop a car you have to press a brake pedal you mixing regen braking when you not applay brake you able to slowly stop a car to stand stop when you take of a foot from accelerator once you perfecting your style of driving you really don't use a brake pedal that's why all this grounding sound came from bc rotors are rusty one day bmw is going to change those rotors bc they just nuisance stainless steal or at least zink coated

stumbledotcom

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:36 pm

All BMW models include a brake drying function. When the windshield sensor detects rain, the brake pads are moved closer to the rotors to eliminate moisture thus reducing stopping distances. BMW USA posted a video explanation in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUwhCZ2duSk

The feature does not combat brake disc corrosion. In fact the i3 Driver’s Guide app (and owner’s manual presumably) states, “Corrosion buildup on the brake discs will cause a pulsating effect on the brakes in their response—generally this cannot be corrected.”

nitramluap

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:34 pm

stumbledotcom wrote:All BMW models include a brake drying function. When the windshield sensor detects rain, the brake pads are moved closer to the rotors to eliminate moisture thus reducing stopping distances. BMW USA posted a video explanation in 2012.
Yes, this.
I33t wrote:The brakes are automatically applied if the battery is 100% charged, the i3 is being driven and the accelerator is lifted (to slow the car). When the battery capacity is reduced, lifting the accelerator charges power into the battery without applying the brakes.
The i3 still uses the motor for 'regenerative' braking even if the battery is full, rather than the mechanical brakes; it just doesn't go into charging the battery but it certainly helps run the consumers (ie. HVAC & battery cooling/heating). The display still shows kW being generated going downhill with a full battery and I can hear that the mechanical brakes are not being used.

So unless you actually use the brake pedal in the i3, you're not going to be wearing off the layer of rust from the discs. I make a point of using the brakes occasionally (once a week) to wear off the crud. I find doing it when exiting a motorway at high speed, and braking lightly for a few seconds, is more effective than trying to clean it off at slower city speeds and it doesn't kill the speed quite so quickly.

I33t

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:55 pm

Has BMW changed the method?

I initially accepted that the brakes were not used, but I was corrected:

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2298

We live up on a hill. When I drive down with 100% battery, I can hear the brakes grinding, and I rarely use the brakes on the i3. Yet there is noticable wear on the front discs since 2014.

If it is not the brakes, what is making the front end noise just like brakes when I back off on the accelerator?
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”