I3 eventually

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanti3inMidwest

Main reason for posting is just to say hello. Also, maybe a few bits you may find interesting

In 2014, I test drove a Giga Rex and absolutely loved it. I didn't purchase it simply because, although i only had a 44 mile round trip commute, I never knew when i was going to need to travel to suppliers and/or customers, and could not count on a consistent day.

By the way, this was in Houston Tx and I worked for a major oil and gas company. The salesperson was a bit taken back that i was interested in an EV. I should also note that I am a huge car nut, racing fanatic, etc. I have owned a M3, I stroked a 302 mustang to 347, put a blower in it, etc.

I am also an Engineer, and love technology.

The main things that drew me to, and still draw me to, the i3 are:

- Incredible detail to design. From carbon fiber to aluminum frame, to the interior, etc.
- Amazing rethinking of manufacturing
- Top notch quality as a result of "overengineeing"
- Love the fact that it has thermal management for the battery and thus preconditioning.
- Given the above, the exterior design does not put me off. It is a purpose built EV and I love purpose built design. I actually like the exterior.
- Agressive regen. If you are going EV, may as well go all in on regen

Main concerns are the tires and potential failures. However, the certified prices are good and the reliablility of the BEV version seems top notch.

Ironically, i ended up buying a 550iGT. What a maintenance / repair nightmare that was. I could have purchased two i3s and two chargers and been better off. That nightmare is why i won't get a BMW with Rex. BEV only.

Fast forward to today. I am still very interested in an i3. Unfortunately, I got laid off from Oil and Gas and am now in the Midwest. Also unfortunately, my pay is nowhere near where it was in Oil and Gas, and my commute is 64 miles round trip.

I will get an i3 this year. Dead set on it. Just need to raise a bit more cash as I don't want a payment. Actually, I would love a 2015/2016 for my daughter and a 2017 (ideally 2018 with refresh) for myself.

Want:
BEV, no rex, which means I want 2017 or newer for the range, but 2017 only due to price.
HK system
Adaptive cruise control
Tera leather
Fluid Black (although I love the white/black as well as it would match my white/black BMW R1200R)

I could have just kept stalking the forum but thought i would at least register and introduce, and give some back story.

Nice to meet y'all

Welcome.
Your experience with the 5 series has nothing to do with the REX though. The 550iGT has a gas engine, the REX does not. There's no correlation and therefore nothing to be concerned about as far as that goes. The REX has a generator. No transmission. When it runs on gas, it's still powering the battery and running electricity from that. It's not a plug-in hybrid. It's a serial hybrid. I do support getting the BEV and it will be a lot less maintenance as a whole. If it suits your needs just fine, go for it. But shying away from the REX for the reasons you've posted isn't a reason to be concerned. For the record, if a BEV suited my needs, I'd get the BEV over the REX too. Not because I'd be worried about any sort of repairs needed on the REX, but just b/c if it's not needed, why deal with it.

Generally, I wouldn't recommend two of the same car for the household. You may want to consider purchasing two different cars that do well with different purposes.

The BMW V8 engine had issues and there was a lawsuit that gave many people some relief that was decided late last year. But, that's one engine out of many that they make. My 535GT with their I-6 has been quite reliable.

I really do like my i3, and because I use it for running around town, the original release's battery size is fine for my use. I use my ICE if I need to go further or carry more. I would have no problem buying another BMW with their I-6 engine, but would not buy their V8.

sipabit said:
The 550iGT has a gas engine, the REX does not. There's no correlation and therefore nothing to be concerned about as far as that goes.
Maybe you didn't write what you meant to write or I don't understand what you wrote. The REx engine is a 2-cylinder gasoline engine, certainly much smaller than a 550i GT engine, but gasoline nevertheless with similar maintenance requirements and failure points.

The engine is from a BMW scooter, but as used in the i3, it performs as a generator. At no point will the i3 run on a "gasoline engine". The gas powers the generator which creates electricity that feeds the car. Even when it's running "on gas," it's still powered by electricity. That's the reason people drop to 40mph if they run it too hard. When they run the car so hard that the demand on the car is higher than the rate at which the generator is creating electricity at some point, you're right, it does run on gas as an engine but that's not something the car is designed to do. You should never ever be running the car that hard.

The i3 is a serial hybrid. It's not a plug-in hybrid like a Prius Prime that has truly both a gas engine and an electric motor. The wear and tear on the REX is going to be nothing like it is on a 5-series where the gas engine is constantly running and is the sole thing operating the vehicle.

I just don't see the relevance in having a bad experience with a 5-series and then translating it into fear of driving an i3 with a puny generator that's hardly ever used. As with anything, if you use it as it's not designed, you can't expect superior performance or even reliable performance. The i3 REX has always been advertised as an electric car with a gas backup. It's not meant to be used often and definitely not designed to be used hard. The REX is only meant to get you to the next charging station. Is it possible to drive "on gas" across the country? Yes, but it's not advised and anyone doing it takes a risk beyond what it's designed for.

As I stated before though, I don't disagree with the preference for a BEV. I would want that too if it met my needs and all for the same reasons that everyone else does. Less of a thing to deal with.

I'll chime in. I have a 2014 BEV and my commute is 40 mi round trip. I am charging with 110v at my employer right now which is nice. Maybe your employer would let you do the same. It plugs into a regular outlet, and doesn't cost them very much. You might even get them to make an "EV ONLY" parking spot next to an outlet to let you charge. That would keep you from having range anxiety about making the trip.

I like the BEV only (nothing against you REX guys! :)). It's why I went electric. I thought I would use it only to go to work and back, and then use my 2016 Tacoma for everything else. Nope. I use my i3 for everything and have to make myself use the Tacoma so it doesn't just sit there!

Good luck with your decision.

I love my 2014 i3 Rex! I, too, live in the Midwest, and on a full charge and a 50 degree day, I'll have a range of 72 miles. Today, when it was in the teens all day, I had only 45. As someone who drives typically 30 to 60 miles per day, I couldn't do without the Rex. My car has 50,000 miles on it, and no problems with the Rex engine. Compared to a standard ICE, the Rex leads a pretty cushy life. Gentle warm-up, consistent speed, long cool-down. I have complete faith that the Rex will last for years more - possibly longer than the car itself, depending on the cost of battery replacement in another 10 years or so.

Back