Help decide between 2014 vs 2016 Used i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockyhora

Hello all, been lurking on these forums trying to get smarter on the i3s. I had a Fiat 500e for a few years and enjoyed the zippyness of it. The i3 looks awesome and thinking a used one will suite me well. I only put about 4000 miles on the car per year but a big problem on 500e was the lack of range. I make the drive from OC to LA about once a week and need to be able to go there and get back without range anxiety. Its about 120 miles round trip and I don't mind filling up once if needed.

That being said, I found a couple that work well and qualify for the HOV sticker. One is a 2016 white i3 that is CPO at a BMW dealership and the other is a 2014 carmax car.

Appreciate any insight or recommendations you can provide.

Are the 2014 model years bad? Do the battery warranty transfer for even a 3rd owner? Do i3's have a lot of warranty issues?

I am trying to decide between a 2014 and 2016 i3 REX and having a tough time. Both cars are available today and hoping to make a decision quickly.

Pros of 2014: Bigger nav screen, preferred color, $2K cheaper

Pros of 2016: Newer, CPO, warranty good till June 2021 with the 1 addition from CPO

How would you decide between the two?

DECZ08b.png

The battery warranty should transfer, but check, on either one. For the 2K, I'd probably get the newer one with the warranty. There doesn't seem to be much difference in issues with either model year. The 2016 probably came from the factory with a modified motor mount that some had issues (fixed under warranty, so probably not an issue). The professional nav screen and options is nicer, but the smaller one still works.

I'd be more inclined to go with the newer one, too. Both of them look like good buys, though. Welcome to the club!

The battery warranty transfers with the car. My personal opinion, the additional options, including the Professional Nav screen make the 2014 more attractive to me. What "world" is the 2016? From the wheels, looks like it could be a Tera World, which has $2,700 in options, or at least a Giga World with $1,700 in options - and those wheels on the 2016 are an additional $1,300.. https://insideevs.com/understanding-world-packages-bmw-i3/

Be aware that the CPO is really talked up by BMW, but in reality it is not worth much. The CPO extended warranty is limited coverage - a lot of what is covered by the 4 year factory warranty is not covered by the CPO extended warranty. Example - the small 12 volt battery that powers the i3 accessories - free replacement under the 4 year warranty, under the CPO warranty, a poster here was charged over $600 when his 12 v battery failed, as it was not covered under his CPO extended warranty.

MKH said:
The battery warranty transfers with the car. My personal opinion, the additional options, including the Professional Nav screen make the 2014 more attractive to me. What "world" is the 2016? From the wheels, looks like it could be a Tera World, which has $2,700 in options, or at least a Giga World with $1,700 in options - and those wheels on the 2016 are an additional $1,300.. https://insideevs.com/understanding-wor ... es-bmw-i3/

Based on what I see, the 2016 has the base wheels, I.E. Mega or Deka world (Probably a Mega world in a 2016). Both of these have all cloth seats, plastic instead of wooden dashboard trim, a rubber-like material instead of leather on other parts of the dashboard and steering wheel. A couple of the interior trim pieces are also missing, but the big thing with the upgrade worlds- Giga and Tera, is that they have leather.

The 2014 has the 20-inch wheels. This is a standalone option and not tied to any particular world package. These wheels come with summer performance tires, which I really like. They are not very good at snow, or low temperatures. As you live in SoCal, that's probably not a big issue. Based on looking at the picture you posed, it looks like both might be Mega worlds.

Based on what I see, the 2016 has the base wheels,

Yeah, I miss-typed that, should have been 2014 in my post, which have the optional 20 inch wheels.

One thing to keep in mind, the only tires available for the 20" wheels are summer tread. They can be downright dangerous in snow. Now, Dallas area doesn't get it often, but those tires don't work all that great when it's below 45-degrees, either. To get all-season or winter tires, you'd have to spring for new wheels as well as new tires (and TPMS).

Thank you all for the quick responses and help. Is there an easy way to figure out packages from the VIN number? I am positive the white 2016 is mega as its CPO and dealer was able to tell me but not sure on the orange 2014 as it is Carmax.

rockyhora said:
Thank you all for the quick responses and help. Is there an easy way to figure out packages from the VIN number? I am positive the white 2016 is mega as its CPO and dealer was able to tell me but not sure on the orange 2014 as it is Carmax.

Stick it in here: https://www.mdecoder.com/

It will tell you what the "upholstery" is (the color), and the "edition" (a more direct way of telling you the "world"). It will also tell you about tech packages, parking packages, etc. too

Mine, for example, says "Lodge" on the edition (I have a Giga world, though Lodge is a more fitting name for the theme), and "WOLLST.NATURLED.KOM" for the upholstery.

I would go with the 2016 CPO. But ensure that warranty gives you a total of 6 years/unlimited miles. The dealer should be able to tell you about additional CPO plans. See https://cpo.bmwusa.com/warranty.

rockyhora said:
Is there an easy way to figure out packages from the VIN number?
First, their are trim levels called "Worlds". In 2014, there were Mega, Giga, and Tera Worlds. By 2016, I believe that Deka World had been added below Mega World.

Then there are Packages assembled from a number of options.

Unfortunately, VIN decoder sites don't list Worlds or Packages explicitly. The World can be figured out from the upholstery description, but which options are included in available packages isn't clear and can vary from year to year.

rockyhora said:
I am positive the white 2016 is mega as its CPO and dealer was able to tell me but not sure on the orange 2014 as it is Carmax.
Yes, the standard Mega wheels show that the 2016 is a Mega World. However, the 2014 has the 20" wheel option that's available with any World.

The 2014 steering wheel appears to be a light color which rules out the top Tera trim level.

Both have parking sensors in the front bumper, so the Parking Package is included which also features a backup camera.

The large nav screen is included with the Technology + Driving Assistant Package along with adaptive cruise control and some other nice features.

I recommend the 2016. The warranty has value.
Technically though, the warranty is only transferable to the new owner by paying a fee. $700 possibly, but check b/c it may vary by location. Your dealer may still be cool with covering any issues w/o it. You'll just have to try it and see.

One of the earlier responses incorrect. The Deka World was only released officially in 2017. Only the Value Package models produced from April - June of 2016 had the Deka World offerings but those are pretty rare.

Thank you all for the help! The decision was made for me as the dealer stopped holding the 2016 white CPO i3 and sold it :roll:

I picked up the 2014 Orange i3 and it really is a nice car! Glad to be part of this i3 club :)

Looks like I am in the same boat as you. I am trying to decide between 2014 BEV (23k miles, Giga and Tech pkg) for $15k and 2016 BEV (11k miles, Tera, Tech pkg, and HK stereo) CPO for $19k. We are leaning towards 2016 as it is practically brand new (has some scratches on the passenger side but the dealer is fixing it right now). Was not offered an extra year of CPO warranty, but not sure if that is even worthwhile as the list of what's not covered is quite long.

I feel like the upgraded stereo is a pretty big deal as the base stereo may be the worst sounding car stereo I have heard in a very long time, though I do like the wood trim on Giga.

Is there anything else I should be checking on the car?

though I do like the wood trim on Giga.

If there isn't wood trim in the 2016, it's not a Tera. The Tera World trim level has wood dash, and leather seats. $19K is a very good price for a 2016 Tera with those options, with that low mileage.

gameboy said:
Is there anything else I should be checking on the car?
I think the 2016 is worth $5k more than the 2014 model. However, if you decide to save $5k, check that the 2014 has the fast DC charging option which is standard on the 2016.

MKH said:
If there isn't wood trim in the 2016, it's not a Tera. The Tera World trim level has wood dash, and leather seats. $19K is a very good price for a 2016 Tera with those options, with that low mileage.
Maybe gameboy prefers the light Giga World wood trim to the dark Tera World wood trim (assuming that dark wood trim was included in a 2016 Tera).

The dark oak dash was introduced in the 2017 94 Ah, Giga or Tera World trim levels, though have heard of a few owners with previous year models who liked the dark wood, so did a retro-fit.

Don't know if you purchased. But I would go with the 2016 Rex. My Rex has come in handy during winter months. Mine has the Tech Package which has the larger screen and for me the larger screen was a must when purchased. Just wish I had the Harmon Kardon Stereo.

That 2014 has NO WARRANTY. That would be a quick out for me. The CPO has 1 year left and because it's a CPO you get an additional 1 year warranty past the manufacture. And not to mention that you get 8 years 100k warranty on the battery pack on both. So you will get 2 more years out of the 2016 model. You can always add the larger screen later. I have seen people do it.

So given only those 2 options I would go with the 2016 Rex. This is my personal opinion.

I wish I had gotten every option they made for mine. The tech package (and rex) was a deal breaker for me, also. The screen is way better. I also like the adaptive cruise. HK audio system would be nice, as would a rear camera (even though it's a small car, the belt line is pretty high). My advice would be to get one as loaded as you can, even if it means going with a higher mileage vehicle.

Back