2015 i3 REX in Tucson

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonnieinarizona

I am the current owner of a 2011 X3 which I love -- I mean I love -- my car. That said, my husband couldn't help himself and just bought a M3, and we have a X6 that we take to the mountains all the time. I have about 20 mile commute, and only drive city miles -- maybe a max day of 50 miles. Since we already have two gas cars, and my commute is so short, I just can't see having three gas cars (especially all of them being pretty guzzly -- a new term).

There is a great deal on a 2015 i3 Rex for 16K (22K miles). My question is, if I could stretch it, should I wait and try to find a 2017 with extended battery or should I go for a great deal (the 2015)?

Well, loved the 2015 i3, but I decided on the 2017 i3 with REx, having it delivered next week -- an extra 35% in mileage from a charge was too appealing to pass up, and worth the extra money to me ... wish me luck!

If your commute is only 20 miles and you have other cars, it might be a good idea to get an i3 that is a BEV (electric only). They are slightly more reliable, less costly, noticeably quicker off the line, and they weigh less. There is no need for a Rex for such short trips. I have had both, but require the Rex for heat in the winter and the occaisional longer than usual trip... it is our only car... and we live in a remote area. If I were in your position, it would not even be a question... I would get an i3 BEV.

A newer BEV with a larger battery would work for you, even on the coldest possible day at 50-mile day. The original battery size should work unless you have lots of elevation changes or your speeds are really high. If you can plug it in at work, no question, any i3 BEV should work for you. When it's cold out, the BEV isn't compromised anywhere near as much with cabin heating as the REx is since it uses a heat pump for most of the heat unless REALLY cold.

Precondition with a departure time while plugged in, and you will probably love it. Faster than the M off the line, tight turning radius, so easy and fun to drive in a city environment.

Go drive one, find a dealership and see if they're offering an extended drive test (some will do a weekend). Then decide.

JohnKelly said:
If your commute is only 20 miles and you have other cars, it might be a good idea to get an i3 that is a BEV (electric only). They are slightly more reliable, less costly, noticeably quicker off the line, and they weigh less. There is no need for a Rex for such short trips. I have had both, but require the Rex for heat in the winter and the occaisional longer than usual trip... it is our only car... and we live in a remote area. If I were in your position, it would not even be a question... I would get an i3 BEV.

For Tucson, though, it's so far from anything else, that if you *EVER* want to drive it further than Phoenix, the REx is a must. And even then, a 2015 couldn't even do Phoenix as a BEV without stopping. Without a REx, the i3 becomes truly an "in town only" vehicle in Tucson. There is only one DC Quick Charger between Phoenix and Tucson, and if it's out of order, you're SOL.

There is no way to drive a <80 mile range BEV from Tucson to Los Angeles. None. There aren't even level 2 chargers closer than 70 miles apart on any route. (And the one route that has them 70 miles apart, it's a 50 mile stretch, then one L2 charger, then 70 miles, then two L2 chargers near each other, than another 50 miles to a single. If either of the single chargers go out, you're SOL.) Also, I hope you don't do it during really hot weather (AKA 6 months of the year) when you want to use range-killing AC.

For many parts of the country, sure, a BEV is a great choice. But for Tucson? Not without the bigger battery. I mean, yes, if you have other vehicles, and truly *NEVER* plan on driving the i3 for anything except commuting, maybe. But if that M3 ever breaks down, and your husband has the X6, and you really need to drive to Phoenix suddenly, having the "safety net" of the extra range (either by a later bigger battery model or a REx) is nice.

Hi Frosty -- here is the link -- it is a "great deal" according to CarGurus. It is CPO.

https://www.bmwoftucson.com/certified/BMW/2015-BMW-i3+with+Range+Extender-a67b79e40a0d04fe71e0851b0a984a3e.htm

Bonnie

I ended up ordering a CPO 2017 Rex from California. ETA to the dealer here is tomorrow am, with a meeting set up with a genius tomorrow pm. Spent much of the weekend getting the Juicebox installed in the garage (wifi doesn't work yet, I think it is defective, grrrr).

I really wanted to go BEV, but it was too good of a deal to pass up the extra security of the Rex on the off chance I needed to head to Phoenix and beyond.

I am sure I will have questions. I do know a lot about what vehicles are around the area (California, Texas, Arizona), so feel free to ask me if you want to know the good deals :). BMW of Fremont has a couple right now!

-Bonnie

Back