North American used i3 price development

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benrk

Hi all, I’m looking to buy an i3 before the next winter. Looking through listings, there are quite a few that are only selling once the price is substantially reduced, while the bottom end of the price range is sometimes pretty thin. It seems to me as if there is still a strong downward movement. Do you guys think 2014-2016 models will still drop through the summer as more 2017s with the 94Ah battery are coming off lease? Do you guys think now is a good time to buy or should I wait till later in the year? I’m in Manitoba, Canada & local availability is 0 as there is no incentive here, I’ll have to ship in from elsewhere & price comparison between CDN & USA suggests CDN hasn’t fully caught up to US price drops, so input to both, US & CDN pricing is very welcome.

Thx, Ben

benrk said:
Hi all, I’m looking to buy an i3 before the next winter. Looking through listings, there are quite a few that are only selling once the price is substantially reduced, while the bottom end of the price range is sometimes pretty thin. It seems to me as if there is still a strong downward movement. Do you guys think 2014-2016 models will still drop through the summer as more 2017s with the 94Ah battery are coming off lease? Do you guys think now is a good time to buy or should I wait till later in the year? I’m in Manitoba, Canada & local availability is 0 as there is no incentive here, I’ll have to ship in from elsewhere & price comparison between CDN & USA suggests CDN hasn’t fully caught up to US price drops, so input to both, US & CDN pricing is very welcome.

Thx, Ben

Those with accurate predictions should invest in the stock market.
But, I see the prices are holding steady. You can pretty much buy a stripped down low mileage 2015 Rex for around 16-17K. Step up to park assist, better wheels, Giga etc and the price starts moving up.

Also gas prices are on the rise. This could affect prices of EVs. But there is no real prediction as such. If you come aross a good deal just grab it.

Hi Ben,

There are hundreds of used ones in Vancouver. The dealerships are bringing them up by the truckload. Not the BMW stores but more of the Honda and Kia stores for some strange reason.

Our gas is just under $1.60 per litre so these lower price EV's are getting alot of attention. There are a few BEV running around $23k Canuck Bucks.

We bought our Dec 2015 production Rex with 12,000 miles on it fully loaded for $30k CDN from Westwood Honda. I am not too sure how difficult it would be to buy a BC car and relocate it to Manitoba but I expect would be simple.

We have had ours for almost a year and it has been great. I expect to get another 3 trouble free years out of it before we look at our next EV.

We got our connected drive to work but that took some work and a US address, and we were able to get an extended warranty from BMW Canada with adds 3 more years to the initial warranty for peace of mind.

PBNB said:
Hi Ben,

There are hundreds of used ones in Vancouver. The dealerships are bringing them up by the truckload. Not the BMW stores but more of the Honda and Kia stores for some strange reason.

Our gas is just under $1.60 per litre so these lower price EV's are getting alot of attention. There are a few BEV running around $23k Canuck Bucks.

We bought our Dec 2015 production Rex with 12,000 miles on it fully loaded for $30k CDN from Westwood Honda. I am not too sure how difficult it would be to buy a BC car and relocate it to Manitoba but I expect would be simple.

We have had ours for almost a year and it has been great. I expect to get another 3 trouble free years out of it before we look at our next EV.

We got our connected drive to work but that took some work and a US address, and we were able to get an extended warranty from BMW Canada with adds 3 more years to the initial warranty for peace of mind.

Yes, the Vancouver situation baffles me, Westwood & Carter Honda have tons of US import i3, but pricing for Euro cars typically is more interesting in Eastern Canada than in BC & the price of trucking it to MB is pretty close from West or East. There was a nice i3 for sale from private in Vancouver, dropped & sold this week at 21k inc winter wheels & Level 2 charger. If it had had the brown leather Tera interior I would’ve bought it, but it was a light color interior & I’ll use it as daily commuter wearing my work clothing, I have a pretty good idea what that’s gonna look like after a few weeks...
There is a fully loaded one at a BMW dealer in Montreal for 23.3k that I’m waiting to hear back on, if they put a decent deal on winter wheels & get the financing terms right it’ll be on the next westbound truck I can find.

Unless there are a handful more people looking into their crystal ball & coming up with reasonable predictions that Canadian i3 pricing will drop another 5k this summer.

Fuel prices going up & more EVs hitting the road & becoming more visible could swing public opinion & stabilize prices, for i3 the 2017 MY coming off lease with it’s bigger battery could just as much drop prices for the previous MYs, it’s really a tough thing to foresee.

As for the stock market, I have made a few predictions that happened exactly as I said they would, unfortunately I didn’t believe myself enough to make funds available to invest.

Greetz, Ben

PBNB said:
Hi Ben,

Yes, the Vancouver situation baffles me, Westwood & Carter Honda have tons of US import i3, but pricing for Euro cars typically is more interesting in Eastern Canada than in BC & the price of trucking it to MB is pretty close from West or East. There was a nice i3 for sale from private in Vancouver, dropped & sold this week at 21k inc winter wheels & Level 2 charger. If it had had the brown leather Tera interior I would’ve bought it, but it was a light color interior & I’ll use it as daily commuter wearing my work clothing, I have a pretty good idea what that’s gonna look like after a few weeks...
There is a fully loaded one at a BMW dealer in Montreal for 23.3k that I’m waiting to hear back on, if they pit a decent deal on winter wheels & get the financing terms right it’ll be on the next westbound truck I can find.

Unless there are a handful more people looking in their crystal ball & coming up with reasonable predictions that Canadian i3 pricing will drop another 5k this summer.

Fuel prices going up & more EVs hitting the road & becoming more visible could swing public opinion & stabilize prices, for i3 the 2017 MY coming off lease with it’s bigger battery could just as much drop prices for the previous MYs, it’s really a tough thing to foresee.

As for the stock market, I have made a few predictions that happened exactly as I said they would, unfortunately I didn’t believe myself enough to make funds available to invest.

Greetz, Ben

Back