Enhanced Bluetooth telephone with USB & Voice Control

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasman

Hi

I am thinking of adding Enhanced Bluetooth telephone with USB & Voice Control but cant find any info on what it does? is it worth the extra £350 over the standard bluetooth what does it do more than the standard bluetooth? Any Idea..

My dealer emailed me today and approx delivery is august 21st so i dont want to wait to long to add this option..

Rob

Hi Rob,

We are taking delivery of our i3 this Saturday. I ordered the Enhanced Bluetooth having seen a list from the dealer comparing Normal and Enhanced features. These are the extra thing that you get with Enhanced but not without:

Full simultaneous pairing of 2x mobile phones but only with Professional Navigation (609)
Office Functions I.e. SMS, email, calendar etc
Voice Control
Telephone USB interface (former 6NF)
Preparation plate for snap in adaptor (adaptor purchase desperately)
Connection to roof antenna via snap in adaptor
Display of album cover art
Bluetooth audio streaming

If you want any of the above, you will need Enhanced I'm afraid. I want Voice Control and audio streaming so reluctantly had to go for it. If you want the sheet, give me a fax number and I'll send it to you.

Hope that helps

Andrew

sasman said:
Hi

I am thinking of adding Enhanced Bluetooth telephone with USB & Voice Control but cant find any info on what it does? is it worth the extra £350 over the standard bluetooth what does it do more than the standard bluetooth? Any Idea..

Rob

Hi, I posted a reply to that a few weeks ago
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=526

I did not go for the Enhanced BT and still enjoy voice control (Siri) and BT audio stream. Not sure what Enhanced BT option really adds. From what I can see, the only added value is the possibility to access SMS, mails and calendar from the main menu. But I can confirm that I can access emails and calendar using the ConnectedDrive menu instead.

Hi

Thanks for the reply from what you say i dont think i am going to add the option..

I also talked to bmw i3 expert but the info they gave me was for other bmw's not i3 specific..he mentioned it was £430 but online it says £350?

Rob

agj said:
sasman said:
Hi

Rob

Hi, I posted a reply to that a few weeks ago
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=526

I did not go for the Enhanced BT and still enjoy voice control (Siri) and BT audio stream. Not sure what Enhanced BT option really adds. From what I can see, the only added value is the possibility to access SMS, mails and calendar from the main menu. But I can confirm that I can access emails and calendar using the ConnectedDrive menu instead.

How are you getting emails on screen? Sounds like you have an iphone, as do I, but it was told emails only work with Blackberrys. Have you done something clever, or am I just being dim (quite likely)?

AndyW said:
Have you done something clever, or am I just being dim (quite likely)?

Neither of them ;)

I set up my email accounts using the ConnectedDrive portal. Under Settings > Set up Services > E-mail Accounts. From there, a wizard will help you to put the correct values (tip : choose your provider from the list and most of the settings will be completed automatically for you).
Back to your car, enter Menu > ConnectedDrive > BMW on-line > Office where you should find all the settings you just completed on you PC. If not, you may have to add the corresponding mail client (pictogram may be inconspicuous : a small square with a "+" sign). Choose "BMW email on line" (or whatever it is called up there in the UK).
Your email account is now available from your ConncectedDrive menu in the car. If you decide to activate your Dragon Drive Messaging (http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/by-product/bmw/index.htm) trial period you can have your email read to you and even dictate your own text.

I do realize however that this functionality may be dependent on you ordering ConnectedDrive Services (6AK), which includes "Apps" (6NR). Since it was important for me to have RTTI (6AM), I had to include 6AK in my specs. Therefore, it is possible that all these email goodies came to me without really asking for them. :shock:

It could be useful for prospective buyers to know what is included and what is not. I case you DID NOT order 6AK, could you confirm whether you can access the email set up service from the portal or not?

Sorry if this email discussion is off-topic. Voice Control over the iPhone and Bluetooth audio stream are not dependent on ConnectedDrive services.

agj said:
AndyW said:
Have you done something clever, or am I just being dim (quite likely)?

Neither of them ;)

I set up my email accounts using the ConnectedDrive portal. Under Settings > Set up Services > E-mail Accounts. From there, a wizard will help you to put the correct values (tip : choose your provider from the list and most of the settings will be completed automatically for you).
Back to your car, enter Menu > ConnectedDrive > BMW on-line > Office where you should find all the settings you just completed on you PC. If not, you may have to add the corresponding mail client (pictogram may be inconspicuous : a small square with a "+" sign). Choose "BMW email on line" (or whatever it is called up there in the UK).
Your email account is now available from your ConncectedDrive menu in the car. If you decide to activate your Dragon Drive Messaging (http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/by-product/bmw/index.htm) trial period you can have your email read to you and even dictate your own text.

I do realize however that this functionality may be dependent on you ordering ConnectedDrive Services (6AK), which includes "Apps" (6NR). Since it was important for me to have RTTI (6AM), I had to include 6AK in my specs. Therefore, it is possible that all these email goodies came to me without really asking for them. :shock:

It could be useful for prospective buyers to know what is included and what is not. I case you DID NOT order 6AK, could you confirm whether you can access the email set up service from the portal or not?

Sorry if this email discussion is off-topic. Voice Control over the iPhone and Bluetooth audio stream are not dependent on ConnectedDrive services.

I didn't order the enhanced bluetooth option and can confirm that I am able to access the email set up screen. Unfortunately it keeps rejecting my icloud settings which I think might be because I have two part verification set on my icloud account to prevent unauthorised access from unknown devices. Very curious to learn how you have been able to access siri voice control. I have tried pressing the steering voice control button for various lengths of time but am only able to access the BMW voice controls. Ihave tried this with both the phone streaming over bluetooth and with a USB connection.

Davidfromdigswell said:
Very curious to learn how you have been able to access siri voice control. I have tried pressing the steering voice control button for various lengths of time but am only able to access the BMW voice controls. Ihave tried this with both the phone streaming over bluetooth and with a USB connection.

This is strange. In my case, a long press (2 sec) on the voice control button fires up Siri. Then, I can see a sort of old-style microphone on the large screen and the mention "external conversation" appears on the small screen. I can make a call and dictate a text message as I would do normally with the iPhone (iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.6). Have you tried to modify your setting in the phone? In my settings, apart from Siri being activated, the function "raise-to-ear" is also ON. Hope this can help.

Difference between advanced and Standard Bluetooth - However if you get pro-nav upgrade you get voice control too;

609 - Navigation system - BMW Professional Multimedia
"Operation by choice of direct-selection short cut keys, 8 programmable Favourite buttons, Voice Control or iDrive."

* All this info taken from UK options list

6NS - Enhanced Bluetooth telephone preparation with USB audio interface and Voice Control
Wireless connection for compatible Bluetooth mobile phones with the vehicle, including hands-free facility. With additional snap-in adaptor, which must be purchased separately, includes charging function and connection to external aerial. Enables convenient connection of an MP3 player, Apple device or USB memory stick in the vehicle through USB interface with operation by equipment-dependent controls (iDrive, favourite buttons, multi-function controls for steering wheel or Voice Control) of the vehicle.
Please see http://www.bmw.com/bluetooth for a list of compatible mobile phones.
Extended functionality depending on the features of the Bluetooth/USB device include:
- View organiser data, SMS and email content from the customer's mobile phone on the Control Display within 'Office' section of the main menu. - Speech-to-text dictation using Dragon Drive! to reply to SMS messages and emails.
- View contact photos from the address book of the mobile phone on the Control Display.
- Bluetooth audio streaming.
- Album cover art displayed when connected via USB or snap-in adaptor..
- Software update for multimedia and telephony via USB.
- Full simultaneous pairing of two mobile phones and one audio device can be paired via Bluetooth (only with option 609).
Notes:
- No playback of analog videos

6NH - Bluetooth with USB Audio Interface
Wireless connection for compatible Bluetooth enabled mobile phones with the vehicle, including hands-free facility. Enables convenient connection of an MP3 player, Apple iPod or USB memory stick in the vehicle. Playback of the audio files via the vehicle's audio system, with operation by equipment-dependent controls (radio controls, multi-function for steering wheel) of the vehicle.
Please see http://www.bmw.com/bluetooth for a list of compatible mobile phones.

I have decided to cancel the enhanced option but am starting to regret it, I would love to read sms on the screen and reply using voice control.
I benefited from the free Pro Sat Nav so maybe ill receive some upgrades as some owners have suggested but does anyone think, that enhanced can be installed after delivery?

So my i3 has been sitting at the dealer for 3 weeks now and I've been told that inside the arm rest there is only a USB and auxiliary connections. I had no idea that there would not be an external antenna connector or snap in holder preparation so now I'm looking to have this retro fitted.
Does any one know who might be able to install me the enhanced BT option in the UK?

BoMW said:
So my i3 has been sitting at the dealer for 3 weeks now and I've been told that inside the arm rest there is only a USB and auxiliary connections. I had no idea that there would not be an external antenna connector or snap in holder preparation so now I'm looking to have this retro fitted.
Does any one know who might be able to install me the enhanced BT option in the UK?

I thought there was an aftermarket holder with antenna connector in the BMW accessories range?

Bill

Bunter said:
BoMW said:

I thought there was an aftermarket holder with antenna connector in the BMW accessories range?

Bill

I'm not sure how the antenna connection works because I don't think the iPhone 5 has a connection for it?
I would like to reinstate this option if poss, just so annoyed that having fully loaded the car I've bailed out of one of the cheaper options that I would use most!

The snap on adaptor for the iPhone5 (£175?) contains a metal plate that sits flush with the back of the iPhone. The IPhone 4 adaptor didn't have this so no idea how that worked. I think the idea is that it is trapping the RF signal and funnelling it down the antennae lead. The reception is better when you have a weaker signal.

This is the picture that shows top left the inset in the armrest centre console and at bottom right the reciprocal base of the adaptor after market from BMW for iPhone.

The data connectors are left and right and I believe the centre yellow piece is actually the coax aerial although not showing up to well. The two vertical brass pins are just locating lugs I believe. So if you didn't order this I think you are stuck. Use the USB to charge and Bluetooth.

Note also the USB and Aux in socket in the background.

The picture below shows the topside of the adaptor mounted in place on the base with the iPhone lightning adaptor just visible.

One disadvantage of this whole thing is that you have to keep your iPhone native and unclothed as it won't fit the adaptor. So no cases protective or otherwise. So if you have a case then you are not going to miss this.

Note that is the 535 as I am still waiting......

....when I did test drive the adaptor was exactly the same in the same place. Someone who has it should post a picture but I think you face an uphill task. Good luck.

I collected my i3 today already regretting the cancellation of my enhanced BT, BUT I was pleasantly surprised that my Proff Nav picked up my BT connection from the iPhone and that I was able to stream music from iPhone and saw my album covers. I do believe however, that somewhere in my arm rest lies a wiring loom end that can be connected to a snap in plate. Fingers crossed!

Maybe its just me but what do you see as the advantage of having the phone connected in the arm rest? In all of my cars I just get in and drive and the car and phones connect via bluetooth. Why do I want to fuss getting it out of my pocket (and maybe later forgetting to take it out of the car!).

The only advantage is a better signal and it charges. Also some media capabilities only work via that interface.

Disadvantage is you leave it in the car all the time.........bad bad bad.
(I even have a "remove before flight" tag to remind me)

Back