BMW i3 First City Launches

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWBoss

According to wikipedia the BMW i3 will be released in the following US cities in 2013.

Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego, and New York City, New Jersey and Connecticut.

Hoping someone on the BMW i3 forum could add some credibility to this list. When I look at the BMW I3 website they claim there will be 7 cities that were chosen for the launch. They are listed as:

New York
London
Paris
Rome
Dusseldorf
Shanghai
Tokyo

I know for sure BMW i3 is already on display in London and will be featured / revealed in some capacity at the 2012 Summer Olympic games. Here is to hoping it comes to the states soon!

BMWBoss said:
According to wikipedia the BMW i3 will be released in the following US cities in 2013.

Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego, and New York City, New Jersey and Connecticut.

Hoping someone on the BMW i3 forum could add some credibility to this list. When I look at the BMW I3 website they claim there will be 7 cities that were chosen for the launch. They are listed as:

New York
London
Paris
Rome
Dusseldorf
Shanghai
Tokyo

I know for sure BMW i3 is already on display in London and will be featured / revealed in some capacity at the 2012 Summer Olympic games. Here is to hoping it comes to the states soon!

Wikipedia has it wrong. They have mistakenly used the BMW ActiveE test cities as the i3 launch cities. These cities will undoubtedly be included in the initial launch cities, but there will be others also. BMW hasn't announced anything as far as launch markets, they haven't even officially confirmed the launch date (which has long been speculated as September 2013). As far as being revealed in some capacity at the 2012 Olympics, we all know that isn't happening. However they do have a concept i3 there as well as a concept i8, but these have been on the circuit for a year now so they are hardly 'revealing' anything.

does anyone have any idea about when the BMW i3 might be launched in Australia? Since this is the bmw i3 forum I'm hoping some one would know the answer.

angel said:
does anyone have any idea about when the BMW i3 might be launched in Australia? Since this is the bmw i3 forum I'm hoping some one would know the answer.

BMW hasn't formally announced the global rollout dates Angel. However I suspect Australia wouldn't be getting the i brand until sometime in early 2014. Check back here for details because I'll post the launch dates as soon as they are made available.

TomMoloughney said:
angel said:

BMW hasn't formally announced the global rollout dates Angel. However I suspect Australia wouldn't be getting the i brand until sometime in early 2014. Check back here for details because I'll post the launch dates as soon as they are made available.
Thanks for the reply. I am waiting eagerly for the BMW i3.

One thing to keep in mind, is that unlike any other car maker, BMWi will be producing these cars from the plant in Germany that will be running full capacity.

Nissan Leaf released its car from Japan plant that has little room made for it, so it was really limited. Now in December they will open Leaf plant that makes 200,000 cars a year. The car will be available in the entire world in 2013.

Now let's say BMWi will make 200,000 cars a year- then that's a lot of cars- it is confirmed by BMWi that they will sell their cars via online in USA. So if Sherlock Holmes that lives in Kirklville, MO wants to have the car, he would need to purchase it online and have it delivered to him. So I am guessing the car will be available everywhere from day 1, cause after all no matter where you will be, if you purchase the car online and pay for delivery then they will make profit from day 1.

I fully agree with you YashuV. According to the BMW website, for the first time ever, BMW will be selling some of its cars online. This move is intended to increase the sales as well as increase the ease of access of the BMW i3 brand. This would be great because no matter which city you are in or no matter where you are, you would be able to purchase the BMW i3 electric car and it would be shipped to your residence. This is a great move and big up to BMW.

If it is true that BMW is going to sell the BMW i3 online; then that is great news. I can't wait to order my first unit of the BMW electric vehicle. According to the reviews of this car, it is going to be one great car. I was a little bit worried that my city is not among the listed cities where the BMW i3 are going to be launched. But since the cars would be sold online, I am now relieved and I can't wait for the official release of the vehicle.

The details of how BMW is going to offer online sales is very limited do far. There are a lot of restrictions (at least here in the US) on what manufacturers can sell on line since they are then damaging the profitability of the independently owner dealerships that they sold licenses to.

The dealerships are going to fight this if BMW allows someone to "buy direct". I suspect the online sale is going to have to involve the dealerships in some way, they can't just cut them out or the dealers will sue BMW for sure (and probably win).

As for YashuV's comment on the volume of sales and when they will be available, you are correct that the Leipzig plant will be ONLY making BMW i electric and plug in hybrid cars. However they are the plane isn't finished yet, and my suspicion is that when they start making i3's late next summer the plant will not be even close to 100% capacity.

Plus, I'm thinking BMW may decide to release the car one market at a time, maybe in one or tow month intervals between new markets. So let's say they launch in September as planned, and they do so in Germany(they have to launch there first, no?) they would then come to the US in December and the rest of Europe in early 2014. This is just my guess of course.

Although it is quite tricky for the 2013 BMW i3 to be sold online, I think it is still the best way that the company can take care of the needs of its customers. Keeping the customers waiting until 2014 would not be fair and so BMW should speed up its production rate and make sure that the car gets to the market as soon as possible.

Conrad said:
Although it is quite tricky for the 2013 BMW i3 to be sold online, I think it is still the best way that the company can take care of the needs of its customers. Keeping the customers waiting until 2014 would not be fair and so BMW should speed up its production rate and make sure that the car gets to the market as soon as possible.

BMW has a timeline for production that was established 4 years ago. There really isn't any way to speed up production. Their production lines, vendor supplies and even the Leipzig plant simply isn't ready yet. I suspect they will make the i3's available and in the greatest quantity as quickly as possible. I for one will gladly wait a couple months longer to make sure nothing is rushed and the car is perfect.

Personally I expect a limited release in September as they get to full production capacity a few months later. I also expect you'll be able to pre-order one if you want to be one of the first to get one.

From BMWi facebook:
BMW i: Hang in there a little longer. The BMW i3 will be launched in 2013 and the possibility to preorder will be announced here soon. Stay tuned!

So that means, soon we should see production version? Maybe in February 2013 at Chicago Auto Show?

As it looks now, the details of how the BMW i3 electric car would be sold online is not very clear. However, if anyone of you guys knows a clear picture of how it shall be done please do not hesitate to post it in the BMW i3 forum.

mitchelle said:
As it looks now, the details of how the BMW i3 electric car would be sold online is not very clear. However, if anyone of you guys knows a clear picture of how it shall be done please do not hesitate to post it in the BMW i3 forum.

Those details have not been announced yet by BMW Mitchelle. I will post them here as soon as they are announced.

I would be very keen to check in the BMW i3 forum to get all the latest details and developments made by BMW about the BMW electric car. I would like to be among the first people to order the BMW i3 so please make sure you keep us updated.

Thanks Tom for your updates. Please continue keeping us updated on any new information about the BMW i3. We are really looking forward to the official release of the BMW electric vehicles.

November 16th 2013 is expected date for release of BMWi3 in France- in all major cities.

I hope BMW doesn't continue to tease buyers with the i3 saying it will be available in the US starting in January 2014 and then only later announce they will only be releasing it in certain cities. I for one will be pretty angry about this. I'm willing to wait until January but I need to know if it will be available in Denver or not. If there will only be a limited roll out then they should tell us during the launch release this coming Monday (July 29th).

Scoot said:
I hope BMW doesn't continue to tease buyers with the i3 saying it will be available in the US starting in January 2014 and then only later announce they will only be releasing it in certain cities. I for one will be pretty angry about this. I'm willing to wait until January but I need to know if it will be available in Denver or not. If there will only be a limited roll out then they should tell us during the launch release this coming Monday (July 29th).

BMW actually never released an official launch for the US until last weeks press release when they said 2nd quarter of 2014. Everything else you've heard has been speculation from the press but they write it like it's fact and people assume they got it from BMW. Not the case. Sorry, but the only statement BMW made about the i3's release was 2nd quarter of 2014. :(

It is expected to be launched all over the US though and not just in select markets but perhaps we'll get clarity on that in Monday's press conference.

BMWBoss said:

New York
London
Paris
Rome
Dusseldorf
Shanghai
Tokyo

Hey, that's really exciting isn't??
I hope it would be in my city also, currently I'm having BMW M series and to be frank I'm really tried to driving the same vehicle daily, I hope it would be replaced by BMW i3 soon,

Back