Loads of Pictures.... incl Rex

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pic 85 (and 84) show the Mennekes connector, which is the European standard. 85 shows it with the CCS / Combo for DCFC. Worry not.

85: http://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2014-i3/800x600/wallpaper_55.htm
84: http://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2014-i3/800x600/wallpaper_54.htm

Couple of interesting pics from Leipzig.

BMW-i3-Liepzig-factory-Andy-Piaulx-P90133261-SGB-em.jpg

Fuel tank.

Andy-Priaulx-visiting-BMW-i3-electric-car-factory-%C2%A9BMW-90133262-SGB-em.jpg

Enthralled drivers.

http://www.sustainableguernsey.info/blog/2013/09/andy-priaulx-visits-bmws-leipzig-plant-where-the-electric-i3-plug-in-hybrid-i8-sports-care-are-made/

surfingslovak said:
Is at the bottom, right behind the cross-beam?

I was assuming so because I've read that it's on the floor at the front but I'm guessing. I definitely should have added a question mark to my caption :) These were just the most detailed build pics I've seen so thought I'd post them up.

Anyway, here's another photo that should make anyone interested in the i3 smile.

Passenger-compartment-bwm-i3.jpg

Great find Plug!

One of the attractions of an electric car is that its less complicated, less to go wrong ..... only 2 moving parts etc.
Seeing these pictures blows that idea completely out of the water.

I'm reminded of a picture I saw showing McLaren building the 12C to be honest the process doesn't look to dissimilar...... or less complicated.

When people talk about the cost of modern vehicles and how expensive they are .... just one look at these pictures should make them realise what a bargain they really are.

Fuel Tank.

I had read on this forum that the fuel tank of the Rex is located under the front seats ..... but I've not seen that info anywhere else.

This look's like the fuel tank to me ....... but I can't be certain.

Anyone have any concrete info?

2mx35ef.jpg

I've seen people write that the "fuel tank" is under the seats also. However I believe they are just playing with works and calling the battery pack the fuel tank.

4933656_4466d9ad0c17a1be41e638ca79c066a1_wm.jpg

http://totalcarmagazine.com/features/2013/10/07/drifting_the_tesla_and_the_bmw_i3_on_the_beach/
Press embargo finishes on 12th October apparently.

While Exploring BIMMERCODE, there seems to be an option for LEFT and RIGHT tanks. This makes me think the European model has 2 reserve tanks.
I wonder if there is an aftermarket vendor for a second tank?

EVeryThang said:
While Exploring BIMMERCODE, there seems to be an option for LEFT and RIGHT tanks. This makes me think the European model has 2 reserve tanks.

That is very likely a coding leftover from the ICE cars from BMW. No second tanks in Euro i3.

You can't even get a new REX in Europe anymore.

The question is - how often do you need the Rex that a larger tank would make sense? I could give up the Frunk. I only opened it once in all my ownership. Useless waste of space that frunk :p You could add 10-20 gallons of gas there.

EVeryThang said:
There are many module parameters that don't apply to i3's but are valid for other BMW vehicles.

eXodus said:
EVeryThang said:

That is very likely a coding leftover from the ICE cars from BMW. No second tanks in Euro i3.

The question is - how often do you need the Rex that a larger tank would make sense? I could give up the Frunk. I only opened it once in all my ownership. Useless waste of space that frunk :p You could add 10-20 gallons of gas there.
I would NOT buy an EV without a frunk. It is amazing for picking up hot food! You can store it in the frunk while driving home and the cabin is not filled with strong Chinese food smells, greasy burgers and fries or any other take out that makes the inside of the car smell so bad. LOVE the frunk! I do wish the i3 frunk was bigger though. Our Taycan frunk is huge, and I recently test drove a Volvo XC40 EV, and it has a great frunk too!!!

Deutsch100 said:
I would NOT buy an EV without a frunk. It is amazing for picking up hot food! You can store it in the frunk while driving home and the cabin is not filled with strong Chinese food smells, greasy burgers and fries or any other take out that makes the inside of the car smell so bad. LOVE the frunk! I do wish the i3 frunk was bigger though. Our Taycan frunk is huge, and I recently test drove a Volvo XC40 EV, and it has a great frunk too!!!

Good that people are different ;) You got a very interesting use case for the Frunk.

Most of my foods grows around my house and the once in blue moon takeout food gets delivered to my door, so that's a non issue for me. I wouldn't even have thought about that.

I got my rear seats folded down most of the time to fairy around large items :p

Deutsch100 said:
eXodus said:
EVeryThang said:

The frunk of my i3 is not weatherproof. As a result leaves, rain, road grime, and the whole lot gets inside of there. It is dirty to the touch. I would definitely not put food in there.

Back