CNET review

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSi3

http://www.cnet.com/products/2014-bmw-i3/

Review Date: January 28, 2015

The Good The 2014 BMW i3 is one of the lightest electric cars in this class. An optional gasoline range extender allows the i3 driver to double the EV's cruising range. The cabin is a work of art, using an attractive mix of high-quality materials. Standard tech includes navigation, HD Radio and more. Coach doors provide unfettered access to the spacious cabin.

The Bad The i3 is the most expensive car in this class by a long shot. iDrive-controlled infotainment is a love-it-or-hate-it affair. The range extender drones loudly like a cheap generator.

The Bottom Line The 2014 BMW i3 looks and feels like the compact car of the future, but its high price tag will be a huge sticking point for thrifty small-EV drivers.

Even discounting the additional cost for the range extender, the i3 is about $10-15K more than its closest competitor. For thrifty drivers who are considering an EV as a way to reduce their transportation costs, this will be a huge sticking point.

That basically says it all - they are missing the point. BMW i3 is not supposed to compete with Leaf or Focus Electric.

Leaf/Focus Electric is appealing to Sentra/Focus/Cruise/Corolla/Civic/Prius drivers. It's priced competitively (when you count in incentives) to it's comparable equipped counterparts.

i3 is targeted at 3 series/A4/B and or C class drivers. And again it's priced to compete with premium market. The only other premium compact EV is Merc B class and it's prices are very much in line with i3.

Doesn't it annoy you when the car manufacturers equate small with cheap or "entry level"? I can afford any size or price class that I want, but what I want is a small/tiny luxury car. I want all the features of an S-class in a small car and I don't mind paying for it, too bad they won't make one for me.... From my point of view a 3-series is a big car and a 5 is just enormous. I have been there and done that and still have the tee shirt..... But I have learned just how much car I need and it ain't very big ;)

<<<The only other premium compact EV is Merc B class and it's prices are very much in line with i3.>>

The VW e-Golf at $36,000 is the SEL loaded model which puts it in the premium compact class. The i3s 157" length and passenger/cargo cubic feet puts it in the premium sub-compact category.

Ron

cove3 said:
<<<The only other premium compact EV is Merc B class and it's prices are very much in line with i3.>>

The VW e-Golf at $36,000 is the SEL loaded model which puts it in the premium compact class. The i3s 157" length and passenger/cargo cubic feet puts it in the premium sub-compact category.

Ron

It would nice if either the e-Golf or B-class ED were available nationally, but in most areas of the country the i3 and Tesla are the only two premium BEVs to choose from.

cove3 said:
The i3s 157" length and passenger/cargo cubic feet puts it in the premium sub-compact category.

Ron
it's splitting hairs. I may be in minority here but 90% of driving in my i3 is just me alone, 99% it's me and my wife. If I need space I rent u-haul van for $19.95 a day. Not only it gives me all the space I need, but also saves my interior. i3 has more than enough cargo space for weekly trip to costco.

I haven't seen e-Golf (since you can't get it in flyover country), but comparing build quality between Leaf and i3 I actually think the Leaf is overpriced, not the i3.

The MB B class will never be more than a compliance car. The e-Golf is available in 10 carb states which is a pretty big market, but they are playing it close to the vest on expanding to other states. I'm sure they eventually will but probably want to shake out bugs, determine demand, and minimize training and parts expense.

VW appears fully committed to alternatives, as is BMW, with concept cars in all areas and all materials, including carbon. But they are approaching it cautiously.

Ron

WoodlandHills said:
Doesn't it annoy you when the car manufacturers equate small with cheap or "entry level"? I can afford any size or price class that I want, but what I want is a small/tiny luxury car. I want all the features of an S-class in a small car and I don't mind paying for it, too bad they won't make one for me.... From my point of view a 3-series is a big car and a 5 is just enormous. I have been there and done that and still have the tee shirt..... But I have learned just how much car I need and it ain't very big ;)

Well said! I'm of the same opinion, I currently drive a 2010 E91 and its too big for my liking, i should have stuck with my Clubman until the i3 was available... hindsight is 20-20...

cove3 said:

Ron

Hi Ron, I'm glad you're enjoying your Golf (and with good reason), but I disagree about your (sub)compact assessment, see the illustration I made earlier. True fact though: the boot is smaller.

Regards, Steven

BMWi3vsGolf.jpg

The EPA classifies the i3 as a sub compact and the e-Golf as a compact. No matter. It's a great car and I was ready to buy one until my wife put her size 6 foot down and demanded I look for something more conventional. Feeling my marriage was more important than the car, I complied, although it was a close call

Ron
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35207&id=35849
(click on specs tab) Vehicle Specification Data
EPA Size Class Additional Information Subcompact Cars
(It does appear the i3 is at the upper boundary of sub compact and the e-Golf at the lower boundary of compact)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subcompact_car
A subcompact car is the American term for an automobile with a class size smaller than a compact car, usually not exceeding 165 inches (4,191 mm) in length, but larger than a microcar. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a passenger car is classified as subcompact if it has between 85 cubic feet (2,407 L) and 99 cu ft (2,803 L) of interior volume.[1]

Ron

Tomasz said:
it's splitting hairs. I may be in minority here but 90% of driving in my i3 is just me alone, 99% it's me and my wife. If I need space I rent u-haul van for $19.95 a day. Not only it gives me all the space I need, but also saves my interior. i3 has more than enough cargo space for weekly trip to costco.

+1 that

Like my father and many others who drive a minivan for the once in 10 years he needs to carry stuff or people.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

WoodlandHills said:

+1 again

I've never understood the let's drive a giant vehicle thinking.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A tale of three 3s:

My wife's middle-aged 3-litre straight-6 325i was not pleasuring her anymore, so she supplemented it with a much younger 2-litre turbo-4 328i. Big mistake! The 3-series has grown, and not in a good way: fatter, softer and sloppier — and that dreaded turbo-lag just leaves her high and dry.

However, she has warmed to my much younger apparently-small battery-powered carbon-fibered i3, which is more immediate, nimble, athletic and responsive, with hip-snapping low-end thrust and a surprisingly large interior space.

Long story: it's not the metal, it's the motion.

Back