Drifting the i3, now with no traction, ABS or regen.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I woudn't recommend you do this on the road, you may also permanently damage your car. Do NOT do what I describe below!

>Turn ignition on
>Hold down the trip reset button on the side of the speed readout display (I didn't know it was there until someone told me about this technique).
>A menu will pop up at the the bottom of the speedo screen
>Short press of the trip reset button will move you through the options
>One will be 'Dyno test' or something like that
>Long hold on 'Dyno' option until the next screen pops up asking you to confirm
>Short press of the button and you will get lots of warnings!
>ABS is disabled, traction disabled, engine regeneration is disabled
>Spin those wheels!

To reset just turn off car and lock, when you unlock all will be back to normal. I assume this mode is available to allow running of the car on a DYNO to test BHP etc. Running a modern car on a DYNo where just one set of wheels spins, with ABS/Traction systems can send those computers nuts and throw up all kinds of errors.

mrsmith said:
I woudn't recommend you do this on the road, you may also permanently damage your car. Do NOT do what I describe below!

>Turn ignition on
>Hold down the trip reset button on the side of the speed readout display (I didn't know it was there until someone told me about this technique).
>A menu will pop up at the the bottom of the speedo screen
>Short press of the trip reset button will move you through the options
>One will be 'Dyno test' or something like that
>Long hold on 'Dyno' option until the next screen pops up asking you to confirm
>Short press of the button and you will get lots of warnings!
>ABS is disabled, traction disabled, engine regeneration is disabled
>Spin those wheels!

To reset just turn off car and lock, when you unlock all will be back to normal. I assume this mode is available to allow running of the car on a DYNO to test BHP etc. Running a modern car on a DYNo where just one set of wheels spins, with ABS/Traction systems can send those computers nuts and throw up all kinds of errors.

Hi to everybody,
I try to turn off all control and it work's, the procedure is right but isn't a dyno test but "roller test".
Be quite, because all of crontrol are disactivated.

That's very unsafe and stupid!
Why don't you just switch to "N" the last 5km when you brake?! Same effect but safe because you then still have the break booster (powerbrake) (don't know the correct word).

Seriously? Driving a car with no ABS is "unsafe and stupid"? So you think that everyone who drives a classic car is an unsafe idiot? That's sort of a broad statement........
If you disable ABS, Regen and traction control you are driving the same sort of car the entire planet drove up until a few years ago. Were we all stupid and unsafe then too? How did we ever survive........?

DeJay58 said:
That's very unsafe and stupid!
Why don't you just switch to "N" the last 5km when you brake?! Same effect but safe because you then still have the break booster (powerbrake) (don't know the correct word).

It looks like you said that switching to Roller Mode is "very unsafe and stupid". Did I get that wrong?
And does not roller mode turn an i3 into a car with no ABS, no traction control and no Regen? Just like any other car from the old days....... How is driving like that unsafe and stupid?

Back