How long to refuel a BMW i3 REx

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMoloughney

I made a video of refueling the REx gas tank on a long trip. Just having some fun and responding to the people that argue how inconvenient it is to have to stop every 50 or 60 miles to refill the tiny gas tank of the REx:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2015/11/road-trip-refueling-bmw-i3-rex.html

TomMoloughney said:
I made a video of refueling the REx gas tank on a long trip. Just having some fun and responding to the people that argue how inconvenient it is to have to stop every 50 or 60 miles to refill the tiny gas tank of the REx:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2015/11/road-trip-refueling-bmw-i3-rex.html
Very nicely demonstrated Tom! I know it would have taken me at least 3 seconds longer, since I collect my pump receipts. I also used to have a $10 minimum for which I would use a charge card.

On the other hand, my i3 is a BEV, so I'll have to put up with the 20 minute stops every 600 miles (I never run it all the way down!) when I'm on the road with my ES hybrid. At least that keeps me from worrying about undercutting my charge card minimum. I have zero minute stops when I'm in town with my i3, save for the 7 seconds to plug in when I get home and 7 seconds to unplug when I leave (that's 3 seconds handling the plug and 4 additional seconds walking around the car).

Most people on an ICE refill before the idiot warning light comes on, but even then, on most cars, you have another 30-40 miles or more before you're actually empty. And, you can go for hours in between having to stop from full (on my ICE, around 500-miles). Certainly, you could, and people have, driven an i3 REx long distances. You could call it an adventure. I prefer other types of adventure that doesn't include finding the place I intended to stop was closed and now I'm stuck! Neither am I about to carry around a gas can in the Frunk, or the rear for that extra insurance - just too close to the front crush zone for comfort.

Not everyone can afford 2 cars, so this is a nice proof of concept of how JUST a REx can be a solution if you don't need to make that trip very often.

FrancisJeffries said:
Not everyone can afford 2 cars, so this is a nice proof of concept of how JUST a REx can be a solution if you don't need to make that trip very often.
That's our case exactly!

ditto! we don't want a 2nd car, and don't need a 2nd car... the REx has allowed us to drive 100% electric locally and still be able to make the occasional out of town trip.

Fuel stations like that are few and far between in my parts but I agree, it isn't very inconvenient. I'm more worried about a flat tire than I am running REx all day on a trip. It also gives you a few minutes out of the car to stretch, this actually makes you more alert. Most people have to use the restroom at some point even before needing fuel in a typical ICE. A restroom break would have only taken a few extra minutes as well. Well, depending on the type of restroom break, lol.

Back