Nice picture of the open access to the BMW i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3hopeful

This image is straight from BMW's website - I hadn't seen it before, but it shows a cool side view of how much space and room there is to get in and out of the vehicle with the rear suicide door and no B pillar.

I sure hope they keep that feature on the production version even though it's probably hard to get safety approval with something like that especially with a full carbon fiber monocoque chassis!

BMWi_Header_Sustainability-1.jpg

Ye, the car should have great accessibility. However this picture you see is the concept i3, not the production vehicle which is a bit different here are two things to consider:
1) It's not 100% certain the production i3 will not have a b-pillar. I'm betting it won't, but that has not been confirmed yet. There haven't been many cars in recent years that haven't had a b-pillar and crash testing is a big reason why.
2) The doors on the production i3 won't be as long as what you see on the concept. In the concept, you can see the doors extrude into the wheel wheel area, that will not be the case on the production i3, they will stop short of the wheels so they will be smaller and the car will have less of an opening when the doors are open. In the image below(a near production i3) you can see the outline of the doors and how much smaller they are then the concept i3.

HotWeather1.jpg

Hmm, it's hard to tell from that picture if the i3 does have the b-pillar or not.

I wonder why crashworthiness is hard to attain in a car when so many pickups have that suicide opening door to access the rear seat on extended cabs (F-150 and Sierras both have this since about 1998). I guess it could be the height of the vehicle that makes the difference which would mean in a crash your legs might get hit vs your head getting hit. Could also have something to do with full body on frame construction - but the i3 is more body on frame style than a unibody.

It will be interesting too see what happens.

Too bad about the back doors not going into the wheel well arch at all, that will make it a little less friendly for rear seat entry - things like getting a kid in a car seat sure make large rear seat access handy. That's why sliding rear doors are so popular and made the minivans. I've often wondered why cars didn't have sliding rear doors. Especially on a little city car like the BMW i3, then tight parking doesn't make it near as difficult to get in and out. And BMW does seem to be concerned with that - which is why they are touting the front bench seat (and no console) as some great idea which allows you to slide across to get out the other side if necessary.

Thanks for the reply, Tom!

It is difficult to tell if there is a B-Pillar. I'll be a bit disappointed if there is. BMW has been touting the great access getting in and out of the concept vehicle(because of the lack of b-pillar) so it would be strange of suddenly the production car had one. I'm still guessing it wont, but the picture above really does look like it has one.

i3hopeful said:
Hmm, it's hard to tell from that picture if the i3 does have the b-pillar or not.

I wonder why crashworthiness is hard to attain in a car when so many pickups have that suicide opening door to access the rear seat on extended cabs (F-150 and Sierras both have this since about 1998). I guess it could be the height of the vehicle that makes the difference which would mean in a crash your legs might get hit vs your head getting hit. Could also have something to do with full body on frame construction - but the i3 is more body on frame style than a unibody.

It will be interesting too see what happens.

Too bad about the back doors not going into the wheel well arch at all, that will make it a little less friendly for rear seat entry - things like getting a kid in a car seat sure make large rear seat access handy. That's why sliding rear doors are so popular and made the minivans. I've often wondered why cars didn't have sliding rear doors. Especially on a little city car like the BMW i3, then tight parking doesn't make it near as difficult to get in and out. And BMW does seem to be concerned with that - which is why they are touting the front bench seat (and no console) as some great idea which allows you to slide across to get out the other side if necessary.

Thanks for the reply, Tom!

Back