My 2016 i3 Rex Darth Vader

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stancedi3

Hi everyone, here is my new i3 with deka pkg in Fluid Black, lowered on HnR springs and 15mm spacers on all four corners.

Stancedi3 said:
Hi everyone, here is my new i3 with deka pkg in Fluid Black, lowered on HnR springs and 15mm spacers on all four corners.

ok so I guess I dont know how to post pics in this forum. Can any one shine some light on this for me? Thanks

Hello Stancedi3,

write a post, click on the tag IMG (one of the button just on top of the text you're typing), then copy past the url of your picture in between the tags

Of course, your pictures have to be hosted online somewhere so you can copy past the url.

Stancedi3 said:

Photo%20Jun%2024%2C%2012%2057%2023%20PM.jpg

Stancedi3 said:
Stancedi3 said:

Here you go:

unspecified.jpg

Looks good!

Best to resize the image to suit most desktops (800-1000 width does it, try to keep them around 100Kb), and use postimage instead of dropbox.

Yes, I like the look :cool:

Can you let me know who the lowering springs are made by (or what model they are) with a link ideally! And also to the wheel spacers please?

Nice car!

What has been your experience on the handling with the spacers and drop?

The stock ride is surprisingly decent given the height and skinny tires, but I'm wondering how much of a difference spacers/springs would make.

TIA!

Time to ditch those orange reflectors in the front....!

I see some black replacements in your future.

Love it! Mine will be pretty much identical, i'm sitting on the 19's not the 20's! Getting windows tinted next week and springs/spacers in the mail!

Notable difference in the ride quality?

Roadracer1977 said:

Can you let me know who the lowering springs are made by (or what model they are) with a link ideally! And also to the wheel spacers please?

BMW i3 20mm Wheel Spacers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IRQIQEU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_odCYxb9G1FF9Z

Stancedi3 said:
Roadracer1977 said:

BMW i3 20mm Wheel Spacers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IRQIQEU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_odCYxb9G1FF9Z

Adding wheel spacers with the same wheels etc are not a useful device, and they can increase wear on the bearings etc as well as altering suspension geometry. Have a look at the all the characteristics that a spacer can alter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWijfooeSyU

I33t said:
Adding wheel spacers with the same wheels etc are not a useful device, and they can increase wear on the bearings etc as well as altering suspension geometry.
It's always good to educate people about wheel spacers, but most people seem willing to trade a subjective better appearance and possibly better non-emergency handling for dangerous emergency braking instability, decreased wheel bearing life, and other problems. I certainly won't add wheel spacers, but I understand why some people do.

hey OP, don't listen to the oldies about bearing wear and suspension geom compromise.

Metallurgy and bearing design has come a long way since that old scare story about mini coopers with 9J wheel rims were collapsing 20yr old ball n cage bearings.

Yes the increased offset does add more stress forces, but any wear will get spotted at the next Service.
bearings are cheap but kool stylin is priceless!

The added unsprung weight of spacers is the only thing that's preventing me from going phat.

There's one benefit for the suspension geom - the lowering springs are stiffer but by extending the 'lever' that acts on that spring, you're effectively restoring its rate back to original.

I have -30mm springs, and combined with my 50psi tyres and extensive lightening; throwing out the cup-holders, the printed owners manual, all weather carpets and anything else that isn't bonded permanently to the body - the ride in my car is slightly harsh.

Back