BMW i3 Electric Has Suicide Doors

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeamerFan

I absolutely love this door design on the BMW i3 and wish more cars of the future would integrate this "old school" car concept.

bmwi3suicidedoors.jpg

What do other people on the BMW i3 forum think of these doors? Good idea or bad idea by BMW? What would really be cool if they had an automatic push button opener.

BeamerFan said:
I absolutely love this door design on the BMW i3 and wish more cars of the future would integrate this "old school" car concept.

bmwi3suicidedoors.jpg

What do other people on the BMW i3 forum think of these doors? Good idea or bad idea by BMW? What would really be cool if they had an automatic push button opener.

I like them also. However the production doors are smaller. They don't extend into the wheel wells like they do in this picture.

BMW didn't announce how much they invested, but it's obviously enough that Coloumb Technologies was ok with them announcing this type of strategic investment/agreement.

The doors of the 2013 BMW i3 look absolutely awesome. I can't wait to order my own unit once they have been officially released. I totally agree that these doors are great and I also hope they will be extending wide open up to the wheels.

austin: That picture above shows exactly where the doors end. That is a pre-production test car but it does have the production body panels on it.

It is a fact that the doors of the BMW electric vehicle look amazing. However, from the pictures, it is clear that the body of the ca does not have mid pillars. Don't you think this would compromise on the safety of the car considering that the body of the car would not be very strong?

Hi Mitchelle,

Definitely not. There is no way BMW would make and sell it if it wasn't safe and capable of withstanding a sever side impact. All cars are fully tested by the governments before they are sold anyway and the results are public information. This won't be the first car sold without a B-pillar, there are others. The engineers have you covered, don't worry!

Will the roof of the BMW i3 be made of glass or carbon fiber? It is not very clear from the pictures to know whether it is carbon fiber or clear glass

Thanks Tom for the clarification. The BMW electric vehicles looks even better and is more spacious without the mid-pillars on the body.

If that is the production body panels of the car then I just love the car! This is an electric vehicle of its own kind. However, I would like to know how the strength of the carbon fiber body compares with the strength of the normal steel body.

Back