Doug DeMuro - Here's Why the BMW i3 Absolutely Isn't Worth $50,000

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He really likes the car, but his main holdup is price. That is what held me off of buying for 4 years until I found a good deal on one configured how I wanted basically new for less than half of MSRP.

Most of his points are accurate, but he misses a few points like automatic wipers. Maybe that isn't on all models?

He didn't understand the cupholder... which most people don't until you explain it to them.

And all north american-spec i3's are standard with rain sensing wipers, so he just didn't see the auto button on the end of the stalk. I've never moved that stalk in 3yrs :D

In some parking situations, you might want to exit the car on the opposite side, so having the optional, removable cup holder gives you a bit more room to swing your feet across to the other side. I think it also holds the smoker's ashtray better, but I never used it or would allow anyone to smoke in there!

The price is whatever people are willing to pay. It seems that enough people feel the price of the i3 is reasonable enough as it has met BMW's sales goals. In the first couple of years, they had a backlog, and had to expand the production capacity, and, as far as I know, they haven't shut down production from lack of demand.

If there were another vehicle that was similar enough, people would abandon it or not buy it in the first place.

One of the hassles to any EV sale is the dealerships...because there isn't as much service required, and they must spend money on training and special tools to service the i3, not all of them have much incentive to sell them as a lot of income comes from the service department, and the i3 doesn't generate a huge amount, at least so far. No idea what the dealer margin is on an i3 verses say one of their ICE vehicles.

My only complaint is that in 99% of his reviews, when he reviews a car that isn't brand new, he bases the "value" on the current used price of the same model year vehicle. In this one, he bases it on the price of a brand new one.

The i3 has i believe the highest rate of Lease of any EV. There was a chart with above 94% leases i saw some where for EV leases
So extremely few are paying that much. The Lease is significantly cheaper. . Every one i know is below 200 per month.
The one i leased, i got it cheaper then the Leaf at that point of time.
The one i purchased i got significant off on MRP on a brand new rex ( without Fed and sate) , You wont get 10K off on any other EV as incentives and all incentives stacking up to make it 35% , other than older model of Leafs( leaf is a discount leader) . MRP is just a number.
So i agree that the MRP numbers are way to high, and it can be purchased for way less. Real price is not MRP.

Back