CNET - 2018 i3s REx review

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review! Just purchased an '18 CPO i3s REx as perfect antidote for previous 328i. Personality changes from highly efficient EV to sporty character evocative of BMW heritage with flicks of mode switch. Clear but worthy demerits to range with sport mode when choosing to let off a bit of enthusiast steam!

The headline with the i3 Sport is how much better it handles on the highway than a non-Sport i3. Its revised suspension and wider tires yield a less flighty feel at higher speeds or in windy conditions. This is a significant improvement that many reviewers miss.

Good points, many reviews suggest base i3 has darty freeway handling. Was handed keys for solo test drive and made beeline for nearest highway! Pleasantly surprised with sport composure and focused balance of joyride on city streets. Dealer had standard i3 in stock but felt no reason for comparison drive.

websterize said:
The headline with the i3 Sport is how much better it handles on the highway than a non-Sport i3. Its revised suspension and wider tires yield a less flighty feel at higher speeds or in windy conditions. This is a significant improvement that many reviewers miss.
Thank you for this advice! I wonder if its really the suspension or just a matter of wider tires?

The fender flares aren't that large on the S-model, so I'm wondering if you could just install some spacers and then run wider tires on the non-S for those wanting a more compliant ride and to save money. The i3s is running 175s IIRC, and that easily fits on a 5" wide wheel.

There's only one result on tirerack, but they have 175/60/19 ECOPIA EP600s for example, which should be very close to the i3s size but a little more comfortable ride.

JASmith said:
Thank you for this advice! I wonder if its really the suspension or just a matter of wider tires? ...
Suspension, tires and so much more compared to the nonsport i3 ...
However, the power increase is only half the story. The beefed-up suspension of the i3 Sport is the real story here. To me, that’s the biggest improvement over my previous i3, after considering the increased range. The i3 Sport’s revised suspension features specially developed dampers, springs, and anti-roll bars. The 20” sport wheels are also 0.5” wider and accommodate 195/50 R20” tires on the rear and 175/55 R20” on the front. The new suspension is also 10 mm lower and 44 mm wider than the base i3’s suspension.
Check out more of Tom's excellent review at https://insideevs.com/reviews/336237/bmw-i3-sport-one-month-review/.

Back