Pics from 24h with i3 REX in Arravani Grey

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing those and the BeV photos it's much appreciated. Interesting that neither of the demos seem to have been fitted with the DC charge prep. I can understand this on the REX but not for a BMW demo BeV.

Bill

Bunter said:
Thanks for sharing those and the BeV photos it's much appreciated. Interesting that neither of the demos seem to have been fitted with the DC charge prep. I can understand this on the REX but not for a BMW demo BeV.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Agree completely. Of the 3 BEVs I took out for test drives, not a single one had DC prep installed. This seems strange for the demo pool.

Chris.

When I went for my test drive at Cooper Reading BMW, the 'genius' told me that they had spent £50,000 installing the infrastructure for charging the cars. For that sort of money I'd hope that includes DC charge points.

We'll have one of the few rapid ccs chargers in the UK, almost certainly the first in Wales. Would welcome an i3 to try it out as mine doesn't arrive until July. :(

Just outside Port Talbot, 1 mile from M4 if you're interested. :D

Goldcj7: what kind of location will this charger be at?

Bunter: I don't think you can easily 'see' if the DC charge prep has been installed on a euro model as it just reconfigures some of the extra power pins in the Mennekes connector. Unless I am missing something! In the USA the J1772 connector is smaller so needs the extra DC connector part, and that is indeed visible under the flap.

i3cam said:
Goldcj7: what kind of location will this charger be at?

Bunter: I don't think you can easily 'see' if the DC charge prep has been installed on a euro model as it just reconfigures some of the extra power pins in the Mennekes connector. Unless I am missing something! In the USA the J1772 connector is smaller so needs the extra DC connector part, and that is indeed visible under the flap.

In which case I take it all back. I thought that the 2 extra connectors below the main one indicated the presence if the DC prep and these appeared to be missing on the models ecoangle tried, hence the confusion. Apologies.

Bill

You can see if DC prep has been done. If you lift the flap that covers the charge points at the rear driver’s side there are 2 separate rubber covers over 2 separate charging sockets and the DC one is the lower of the two.

MikeS said:
You can see if DC prep has been done. If you lift the flap that covers the charge points at the rear driver’s side there are 2 separate rubber covers over 2 separate charging sockets and the DC one is the lower of the two.

Confused. That's what I thought but it's possible countries are different.

Bill

The one I looked at was in Chandlers in Brighton UK - Jazz if you are reading this please post a photo (and a copy of the manual!)

It's the same in Europe as it is for the US. In both cases the DC quick charge option adds two pins beneath the standard L2 charge port. The only difference is in the US the standard charge port is the J1172 and in Europe it's the Mennekes inlet.

Below are pics of the European CCS connector and a US CCS connector:

European:
combo-and-mennekes-plug.jpg

US version:
Combo-charger--550x305.jpg

i3cam, it will be part of a University facility but to my knowledge open access, but will check for you...

Goldcj7 said:
We'll have one of the few rapid ccs chargers in the UK, almost certainly the first in Wales. Would welcome an i3 to try it out as mine doesn't arrive until July. :(

Just outside Port Talbot, 1 mile from M4 if you're interested. :D

We have signed a hosting agreement with Chargemaster to have a rapid charge point installed at my garage in Buckingham MK181AF. hopefully we will have it installed before the end of February. I will post when it's ready to go.

Back