My i3's Active Cruise Control in action

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyW

Not terribly exciting, but maybe interesting for those who are wondering whether to get the option. I do stay in the driving seat at all times in this one :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTXHb9LXL2M

That was great to watch as it's the first time I've seen it in action.

I took ages to decide if I should go for the Driving Assistant mainly because it was an expensive option with having to also upgrade the interior but I'm glad I did because with the type of daily driving I do I'm sure I'll be using that a lot. Plus the collision detection safety aspect makes it easier to justify.

Have you had the opportunity to use this active cruise on a motorway or dual carriageway where it's also supposed to steer ?

Thanks Andy,

A really good demonstration of what looks like a very handy utility. I did though want to check that active cruise control that is standard on UK spec cars would bring the car to a standstill and that the driving assistant plus would steer the car as well below 24 mph. Is this correct?

Thanks in anticipation,

Duncan

The active cruise control works fine at keeping your distance at higher speeds, but the active steering only works on motorways & dual carriageways, and at speeds up to (I think) 25mph. I've tried it a couple of times, but don't use my car much on those kinds of roads. It's weird, you have to keep your hand on the wheel or it switches off, but then it tries to pull it out of your hands to keep within the white lines.

Duncan, I don't know 100% as my car has driving assistant, but are you sure there's active cruise control on standard cars? I hope you're not relying on what I think is a typo on page 50 in the printed brochure - I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

Thanks Andy. My mistake!
Having read a little more, I have been mistaking the standard cruise control with brake function, which it turns out I've already got on my 5 series, which is standard on the i3, with the active cruise control which is part of the driving assistant plus package.

Looks like I'll need to see if I can add to my order - again!

Thanks for your video Andy. BMW should be paying you commission!

Duncan

AndyW said:
The active cruise control works fine at keeping your distance at higher speeds, but the active steering only works on motorways & dual carriageways, and at speeds up to (I think) 25mph. I've tried it a couple of times, but don't use my car much on those kinds of roads. It's weird, you have to keep your hand on the wheel or it switches off, but then it tries to pull it out of your hands to keep within the white lines.

Duncan, I don't know 100% as my car has driving assistant, but are you sure there's active cruise control on standard cars? I hope you're not relying on what I think is a typo on page 50 in the printed brochure - I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

Hi Andy. I haven't ordered this option. Is it just a gimmick? I actually don't like the sound of it much, particularly it snatching the wheel from your hands - the machines are taking over!

Depends which bit you mean - the lane departure assist is probably pointless, it's only on motorways, only under 25mph, and i don't like the feel of the wheel being wrenched away. But the active cruise control is great, I use it most days. Thing is, they're both in the same package (in the UK), so it's all or nothing.

Sorry to cross-post, but I've had problems with the cruise control, and I think I've found out why: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=570&p=4513#p4513

It seemed as if the driving assistant left more room than most would at such speeds. Does that become annoying on roads with multiple lanes due to others continually moving into the gap from the neighbouring lane?

It probably depends which national driving style the gap is set for! It had certainly occurred to me that it could be a real nuisance if it braked hard each time somebody overtook and pulled in without leaving a sensible gap.

I have covered 2.5k miles in my i3 Rex Uk version and the only trouble so far is with the integrated cruise control. This doesn't like sunshine. It seems to work OK most of the time in dull weather but is very erratic in sunny weather cutting out and reluctant to re engage. At present it is in for a fix which the garage acknowledges "Is not right" but is having trouble effecting a fix, with emails to BMW HQ for advice. I suggest this problem is well known to BMW and they as yet don't have an effective answer. Have noted this problem reported on various forums and several journalists reviews.

I love this feature but the only issue is that it will disengage from time to time. You need to be at the ready because the car goes into full regen when the ACC disengages and you immediately begin to decelerate.

Not sure about upgrades but the sudden disengagement is definitely there - experienced it 3 times on a 200 mile drive the other day. Two of the times there wasn't a car around or in front of us, one time there was a car following behind who got frustrated by "me" suddenly pushing the brakes. My wife experiences this daily during her work commute. This would be a big problem if it happens with a big trailor following you closely. They should do something about it! Wondering whether there is something we can do to make BMW fix this?...

AndyW said:
...lane departure assist is probably pointless...
Agreed. I've never found it allows me to use it. Either it complains it's not a motorway or it says you're driving too fast. When you're not, it just doesn't work.

Back