richs

Re: Why is the roof black?

Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:25 pm

PBNB wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:02 pm
The other issue that we have is that BMW made our roofs out of exotic materials (carbon fibre) and the resins used to put the layers together may be exposed or clear-coated.
Apparently, this doesn't apply if your car has a moonroof. I hadn't really thought about the roof material until I gently knocked on it. It's painted sheet metal in my 2017 i3. I looked at another i3 (without a moonroof) at the charger recently and finally understand what this old thread was all about.

But I have a black i3, so it's still black. :lol:

jadnashuanh

Re: Why is the roof black?

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:55 pm

fwiw, the reason why the moonroof wasn't available for the first couple of years is that the DOT rules require it to have metal supports. The rest of the world was getting them with the CFRP roofs which are actually stronger. I wasn't aware that they made the entire roof out of metal for the US...that would make it less strong, IMHO. In reality, BMW had said in their original press release for the US that the moonroof would be standard, and personally, I preferred it not be, so for me at least, that was a good thing when they lost their request from the DOT or NHTSA, whichever! Similar hassle with the laser highbeams...it appears that recently they may have allowed the anti-dazzle functionality the original ones had maybe 4-5 years ago in the rest of the world on other models.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

Return to “Suggestions for BMW”