White Roof

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paint or vinyl wrap?

I’ve been wanting to do something like this for 5 years. However, a white top would make our Arravani Gray i3 a 3-tone car which would not improve its appearance :)

I investigated wrapping the roof with chrome mirror vinyl even though all installers and even the manufacturer warned against doing so because of a very short life expectancy due to sun degradation. I felt that reflective chrome would be acceptable because it would not look like a third color.

It’s good to read confirmation that a white roof makes the cabin noticeably cooler in sunny weather.

I had it painted at a high end shop with experience painting carbon fiber. I paid $400 green cash & agreed to come during a slow period (normal price $600/$650).

They recommend keeping it waxed (after waiting a month to cure). Wax protects the paint and increases reflection (see photo from rear of car).

I am very pleased with the quality of the paint job and the improved aesthetics - in addition to having a cooler car.

Back