Make password optional I iRemote app

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eperigny

my iOS devices are already protected by a password so I don't understand why another one when opening iRemote. Nothing is sensitive in there - we can't even unlock doors...

The worst thing one could do by accessing the app would be to precondition the car... I find this unnecessary password to be very annoying. At least, make it optional with a disclaimer.

Eperigny said:
my iOS devices are already protected by a password so I don't understand why another one when opening iRemote. Nothing is sensitive in there - we can't even unlock doors...

The worst thing one could do by accessing the app would be to precondition the car... I find this unnecessary password to be very annoying. At least, make it optional with a disclaimer.

Hear hear

You can see the VIN from the outside...your e-mail address may be easy to find, and your system password may or may not be easy to hack. Do you really want someone else to be playing with your car and maybe running the battery down, or even tracking you? What's so hard about a 4-digit password? Once you enter the initialize the account and someone has your login info, you can run that app on multiple devices and you'd never know - adding a PIN just adds a level of complexity to gaining access.

In some markets, I think you CAN unlock the vehicle. But, even just knowing where the vehicle is and being able to check to see if you left it unlocked makes it an easier candidate for theft of the contents or the car itself. Best to lock up that info IMHO.

Version 1.4 of the BMW i Remote app for North America, released January 30, 2015, says it adds support for TouchID on iOS 8 and up.

ryandesign said:
Version 1.4 of the BMW i Remote app for North America, released January 30, 2015, says it adds support for TouchID on iOS 8 and up.
… and it does, so no need to enter a 4-digit password any longer.

jadnashuanh said:
You can see the VIN from the outside...your e-mail address may be easy to find, and your system password may or may not be easy to hack. Do you really want someone else to be playing with your car and maybe running the battery down, or even tracking you? What's so hard about a 4-digit password? Once you enter the initialize the account and someone has your login info, you can run that app on multiple devices and you'd never know - adding a PIN just adds a level of complexity to gaining access.

In some markets, I think you CAN unlock the vehicle. But, even just knowing where the vehicle is and being able to check to see if you left it unlocked makes it an easier candidate for theft of the contents or the car itself. Best to lock up that info IMHO.
Require the password to pair with your phone, then not afterwards

Even the 'thumb print' to unlock is irritating after a while

No kidding.

Things go best when customers are given options and allowed to decide things like password/no password for themselves. Adults don't generally need to be protected by nannies, no matter how well meaning.

Schnort said:
Especially that it's implementation is buggy. Here is the trick - open the app and put your finger on the home button before the prompt appears. In 9 out of 10 cases the app will freeze after the thumb print is accepted, the only way to get out will be to lock the phone with lock button and reunlock it and reopen the app.

It seems like some stackoverflow code snippet with error copied and pasted as I've seen it happen in many other TouchID capable apps. Hopefully they will fix it in bugfix release soon (as other apps did fix it as well over time)

Tomasz said:
Here is the trick - open the app and put your finger on the home button before the prompt appears. In 9 out of 10 cases the app will freeze after the thumb print is accepted, the only way to get out will be to lock the phone with lock button and reunlock it and reopen the app.
I just spent the last 10 minutes trying but failing to reproduce this bug (iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3). I repeatedly launched the app and also switched to the app from other apps placing my thumb on the home button as fast as I could. iRemote never froze, so what you are observing must reflect something that's different between our configurations.

I don't use iRemote frequently enough to consider using TouchID to be burdensome.

I'm a new owner, so I like fiddling with the shiny things while I'm in meetings.

I also want to unplug at work when I'm done charging (because the charger doesn't unlock itself), so checking is somewhat frequent since the app doesn't notify you when charging is complete.

Schnort said:
I also want to unplug at work when I'm done charging (because the charger doesn't unlock itself), so checking is somewhat frequent since the app doesn't notify you when charging is complete.
The software installed after the KLE replacement automatically unlocks the EVSE power cord after the car reaches 100% charge, at least it does on mine, and is a definite change from the previous software. Personally, I"d like that to be optional for say you're using your occasional use EVSE, once the car is charged, anyone could walk off with it.

jadnashuanh said:
The software installed after the KLE replacement automatically unlocks the EVSE power cord after the car reaches 100% charge, at least it does on mine, and is a definite change from the previous software. Personally, I"d like that to be optional for say you're using your occasional use EVSE, once the car is charged, anyone could walk off with it.
It doesn't cease to amaze me how disconnected from the reality engineers are. Every single Nissan Leaf has a button allowing to preselect one of the three lock positions:
- unlocked
- auto (unlocks after car is charged)
- locked (stays locked).
I have hard time believing that nobody at BMW looked at the Leaf, so it must be their conscious decision: 'We need to keep it locked, otherwise Poles will steal it!'

Back