Automatic mirror unfolding

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue20

Well, i3 is smart enough and won't let me fold in side mirrors when it is in motion.

Then why i3 won't automatically unfold mirrors, once I put the car in gear and drive away?!?!? :?:

Other car makers have option to fold and unfold mirror automatically, when car is locked/unlocked or power up.

Simple, the i3 is a city car. That often means tight parking spots. To get into my spot, for example, the passenger side has to be within a few inches of the wall. Too tight for the mirrors to be extended. If they opened automatically when the car is unlocked or powered, the passenger side one would hit the wall.

My mirrors unfold automatically at about 15 mph..... They fold at about 3 or 4 mph, you don't have to be stopped. Try slowing with your finger on the fold button: the mirrors will begin to fold before the car comes to a stop.

Blue20 said:
Other car makers have option to fold and unfold mirror automatically, when car is locked/unlocked or power up.
So does BMW, but you have to activate this via coding.

3056 → KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB aktiv; werte = 00 [Works regardless of keyless Comfort Access option]
3110 → ASP_BEIKLAPPEN Set to: aktiv
3110 → ASP_BEIKLAPPEN_BEI_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN werte = 01
3110 → ASP_AUSKLAPPEN_NACH_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN werte = 01

Coding these settings will close the windows (if down) and fold in the side mirrors with a press of lock button on key fob. Pressing the unlock button unlocks the door and unfolds the side mirrors. mybmwi3 member "rtanov" helped me figure it out.

websterize said:
Blue20 said:

3056 → KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB aktiv; werte = 00 [Works regardless of keyless Comfort Access option]

Coding these settings will close the windows (if down) and fold in the side mirrors with a press of lock button on key fob. Pressing the unlock button unlocks the door and unfolds the side mirrors. mybmwi3 member "rtanov" helped me figure it out.

Mine does that without coding. Press and hold the lock button for 3 seconds to lock and close windows/fold mirrors, press unlock to unlock and unfold mirrors

Lincsat said:
websterize said:
Blue20 said:

Mine does that without coding. Press and hold the lock button for 3 seconds to lock and close windows/fold mirrors, press unlock to unlock and unfold mirrors
+1

Blue20 said:
Well, i3 is smart enough and won't let me fold in side mirrors when it is in motion.

Then why i3 won't automatically unfold mirrors, once I put the car in gear and drive away?!?!? :?:

They unfold at 15 mph.

Simples.

Tested mine this evening, they do unfold at 25mph. US Tera build, newest software.

I take that having the mirrors fold automatically when turning off the car is not an option? My garage is very tight so I have to fold the mirrors to move around. But locking the car every time is a bit of an inconvenience for plugging, unplugging, etc.

First world problems :)

There's a setting in coding that will fold the mirrors when you lock the vehicle, but I've not noticed one that would do it just when you turned it off. Different markets enable/disable that function, but if you can code your vehicle, you can change that setting.

Do you happen to remember which one? I coded the car using BimmerCode, but was only able to get them to fold when locking and holding the button on the remote for half a second...

Just going from what I've heard others saying. I prefer not to fold them in except in rare circumstances. Figure the more often you do it, the more likely something will go wrong.

Back