Make the key smaller!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeS

I really don’t understand why the i3 key is so big and bulky. Not only is it awkward to carry around in a pocket but it is the only car key I have ever had a regular problem with owing to the buttons being pressed while in my pocket. More than once I have gone out to my car to find it unlocked or the windows down! I would much prefer a small key, especially with the comfort access option as I don’t need to hold it. Even better, would be the option to have 1 key for more than one car so if I owned 2 BMWs I would not need two keys.

I, too, had problems with the fob design. I ended up buying the plastic key fob cover and installed it backwards so it covers the buttons. I also have comfort access, so almost never need to actually press a button, so that hasn't been an issue. If you put the thing on a keychain, you'd have to punch another hole, as when the cover is on backwards, it does not line up with the hole in the fob. I find that it fits securely in the watch fob pocket of my jeans, and that's where I generally carry mine.

And allow the iDrive settings menu to change the operation of the trunk button on the key fob to open the rear trunk instead of the front trunk!

bbmertz said:
And allow the iDrive settings menu to change the operation of the trunk button on the key fob to open the rear trunk instead of the front trunk!
If your i3 has Comfort Access, why would you need to fob to open the rear hatch when merely grabbing its handle would open it if your fob is nearby? If your i3 does not have Comfort Access, how do you unlock the rear hatch to open it?

jadnashuanh said:
I, too, had problems with the fob design. I ended up buying the plastic key fob cover and installed it backwards so it covers the buttons.

I received a fob cover with the i3 Welcome Pack I received yesterday which hopefully will avoid the problems others have reported. Has not been an issue for me to date.

My 2019 i3 key and now my 2020 i3 key is perfect...flat and cannot really even see it in my pocket. I find other BMW models' key much larger. You should see Rolls-Royce keys :-O

Back