Rear Passenger Windows and egress options

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecoangel

How does a rear passenger exit the i3 in an emergency if the front occupants can't open their doors?

It seems the side windows are fixed to save weight - so no wind down option.

Can they exit through the rear hatch from inside - assuming no luggage in the way ?

I would recommend BMW at least provide a rear window vent position as a partial solution.

Better still an emergency door release that detaches the rear door so it can be thrown out like an aircraft over-wing escape panel.

ecoangel said:
How does a rear passenger exit the i3 in an emergency if the front occupants can't open their doors?

It seems the side windows are fixed to save weight - so no wind down option.

Can they exit through the rear hatch from inside - assuming no luggage in the way ?

I would recommend BMW at least provide a rear window vent position as a partial solution.

Better still an emergency door release that detaches the rear door so it can be thrown out like an aircraft over-wing escape panel.
Nobody on the Forum has commented on the ventilation in the i3. Modern cars are much better at getting fresh air into the cabin than they are at letting stale air out. If the rear windows are fixed, how does stale air exit the car?

He exits just like any vehicle that only has two doors. If you can get one front one open, then you can open the rear, but otherwise that's no different than on a two-door car. The CFRP body is a lot less likely to buckle than steel, so getting a door jammed is probably a lot less likely than with most cars. On most cars, the rear windows don't go down far enough for the average person to get through them in an emergency, anyways. The option is to try to break one out, easy with the right tool, really hard, otherwise.

Same way as any other emergency exit from a car:

car_auto_window_breaker_emergency_hammer__38331.jpg

If you don't have one of those, remove a headrest and use the posts to shatter the window.

Well, we have choices then.

Equip the car with a window hammer; put up with a bit of awkwardness removing a headrest to save your life; or just sit there complaining and wait for whatever is causing the emergency to kill or maim you.

This is not rocket science, but it does take a bit of quick thinking at the time. Knowing your options beforehand is a benefit. It's a good idea to educate your regular passengers on this type of information, it can save lives.

Back