Dash Cam

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waitingi3

Given that there are already cameras looking to the front of the vehicle, why not add a slot for an SD card and have the camera also act as a dash cam? Cost would be minimal and easily covered by a small upgrade to the cost of the Driver assist package.

This would be a first I believe.

Up. I entirely support this. The I3 should have an option to have an integrated and connected dashcam.
Other brands are starting to fit this (e.g. Citroën), drivers in certain locales are particularly fond of dashcams, and insurance companies and authorities are also increasingly interested in the potential generalisation of dashcam use.

As I understand it, the front-facing camera that is optional on the i3 is not a very high resolution device. Now, would it be fairly simple to change? Maybe, maybe not. The algorithm they use to spot obstructions or people or animals may or may not work without tweaking if you changed the resolution. In theory, it should possibly be easier to differentiate things, but I'm not positive on that. Plus, the video isn't in a standard format typically used in computers, so (at least I think) that would have to be changed, too.

I think an integrated dash cam would be great in principle. No messy after market cabling.

But the trouble is that insurers could demand to see footage. As conscientious i3 drivers, I am sure we would never be in an accident that is our fault. But I would rather have the option to declare dash cam footage, rather than give the b*stards yet another opportunity to screw me over.

Tobias said:
But the trouble is that insurers could demand to see footage. As conscientious i3 drivers, I am sure we would never be in an accident that is our fault. But I would rather have the option to declare dash cam footage, rather than give the b*stards yet another opportunity to screw me over.
Let me get this straight: if you are involved in an accident that's your fault and your insurance company correctly assigns blame to you, the b*stards would be trying to screw you over!! That disqualifies you from being in the group of conscientious i3 drivers. Why not try taking responsibility for your own mistakes instead of trying to pass the responsibility to those who are not guilty? I guess it's all about me, me, me, and to hell with everyone else.

alohart said:
Tobias said:
Let me get this straight: if you are involved in an accident that's your fault and your insurance company correctly assigns blame to you, the b*stards would be trying to screw you over!! That disqualifies you from being in the group of conscientious i3 drivers. Why not try taking responsibility for your own mistakes instead of trying to pass the responsibility to those who are not guilty? I guess it's all about me, me, me, and to hell with everyone else.

I think what I was saying in my post was that I have had many difficult interactions with insurance companies, where they have acted unfairly. Lucky you, if you haven't. I have never made a fraudulent claim, or lied about an accident - as you imply - but when I do make a claim, I understand, as maybe you do not, that the insurance company is not my friend.

Back